Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AM2 watercooling

• Please log in to reply

Metatron2012

Metatron2012

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Im intrested in a water cooling system for my new soket AM2 motherboard to go along with my FX-62 when it comes out.

But i dont know anything about water cooling units. I mean sure ive read lots of articles on them and so forth but ive never had any hands on experiance with them.

Pepole say you can instead of buying the kits you can put parts from other cooling kits and make your own type of lean mean cooling machine.

im just not sure waht parts to buy. or the best name brands in water cooling. But ive just recently taken up an intrest in the whole water cooling world.

I guess you can say my real question is, can anyone point me in the right direction for the top of the line water cooling parts out their that would be good for soket AM2 processors. Money isnt really an issue at all,

eh guess you can say ive grown tired of fans and im looking into air filters and water cooling for now.

kinda want a qiet PC ya know....so i can focus on the game instead of the humming sound from my 120mm fans.

Any help would be greatly apreciated....

Edited by Metatron2012, 23 April 2006 - 09:28 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could always get low speed low noise 120s.

Asetek are the market leaders in water cooling, vapochill also make excellent kits and have a good name. They all though use fans, only the reserator kits do not use fans and these do not cool as well as air or water kits.

Also with AM2 might not be such a good idea to jump straight into buying AMD might not use there core unification for games and if they dont then intel would be a better choice from the early benchmarks the new core chips are faster than the AM2 CPUs that are on the release line up it will be next year before the next generation of AMD chips are seen. We will have to wait and see though the intel cores may be prohibitvley expensive or have a fault or AMD have something hidden up there sleave for this summer.

As far as getting parts it depends on the motherboards for AM2 as there isnt any yet we wont know wether current kits are compaitble.

You can mix and match parts to a certain extent they are often made by only a couple of companies just made to different quality and some faetures and packaging change so often things like tubing diameter is standard so if you want and extra loop on the system for the mobo chipse or gpu you can get it without needing the same company as the rest of the system, but you need to look up the technical specs and ensure compatibilty before you do this.

Only one company make totally noiseless cooling, zalman you can see the cases here http://www.overclock...lman_Cases.html .

Edited by warriorscot, 23 April 2006 - 10:24 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a good review of 16 different systems. It also good because you can see what works and what doesnt.

http://www.xbitlabs....tercooling.html

SRX660

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
IMHO, I don't think you should learn about water cooling with a brand new and ultra expensive and untested system. There's just too many "gotcha's" that you just can't predict.

Since money isn't much of a problem, why don't you practice watercooling one of your systems to learn the 'ins and outs' of water cooling. You need the practice choosing components and hooking them up properly. Be sure to note the 'before' and 'after' temperatures. Every component from the water blocks to the heat exchanger is critical to create a good system. There will be inevitable mistakes. Take your time and learn as you go.