Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Disk not in My Computer

• Please log in to reply

MGritts22

MGritts22

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello GeeksToGo, and once again, thank you all the help you have (and hopefully will) provide!
I have recently had trouble with my USB devices. I have a USB drive (128mb) and an iPod that recently havn't been working. I think this is because of a recent OS Restore I performed with my Windows XP Professional CD.

I plug my usb device in, and the taskbar icon pops up, showing my PC has found a USB device. I go into My Computer to access it, and it isn't there.

I thought this was because I might have to manually assign a drive letter. I right click My Computer, and go to Manage. Then, I go to Disk Management on the left-hand side panel. It loads, and I right click the drive that is having trouble and assign it a letter, usually from T-Z, even though before the OS Restore it would come up as F:\.

After this, I go to My Computer, and it doesn't show up. I have tried hitting refresh, it still doesn't work. However, I can access the drive from any other program than windows explorer. even if I right-click explore in Disk Management it opens.

I reboot the computer, and the drive letter goes away.

I tried formatting the drive through Manage>Disk Management. It didn't work, and I got an error message saying:

"The operation did not complete because the partition or volume is not enabled. To enable the partition or volume, restart the computer."

I tried this and it did not work. I tried enabling it through Device Manager. (which by the way has no Yellow "!" marks or Red X's.) It said it was already enabled, and when I even disabled it and re-enabled it, it didn't work.

It seems I've tried everything, and I hope I'm wrong. Thanks again, you guys are a huge help.

Sincerely,
Mike

Edited by MGritts22, 23 April 2006 - 11:08 AM.

Advertisements

lorothrigs

lorothrigs

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Goto Device Manager and uninstall your USB Ports and then restart. When you log back on Windows will redetect the ports and it will have hopefully fixed your problem.

MGritts22

MGritts22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
thanks for the help, but unfortunatly, that didn't work. Same problems occurring- all of them :whistling:

Thanks again in advance.

Mike

PS> An uninstall of both the devices didn't work either.

Edited by MGritts22, 23 April 2006 - 11:12 AM.

MGritts22

MGritts22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well, It's been over a month, and alas, the same problem. So nomatter the forum rules, I think this deserves a bump.