Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Boot problems

• Please log in to reply

joejoe12

joejoe12

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks everyone for reading this.

Last night, i was surfing the internet, and my laptop froze. So, after waiting a while, i held down the poewr key and turned it off. When i restarted it, it went about halfway through the boot sequence (didn't make it to the desktop) and froze again.

Now, everytime I go to start it, i hear the fan start, the green light goes on, and then everything shuts down within 5 seconds.

HOWEVER, occasionally (once out of maybe 30 tries), the computer will start and make it to the desktop, but freeze again. sometimes, it'll just make it to the first startup screen, etc. (I've tried starting it in Safe mode when this happens, but the same thing occurs).

One time when i went to power on, i got a blue screen and it did a 3 step process to fix a dirty something. I can't remember exactly what it said.

Does anyone have clues on what I should do? I have so much information on my computer that I need for finals this upcoming week at college!!

Thanks
Joe

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi joejoe12...

Do you have your recovery cd?

wannabe1

joejoe12

joejoe12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
This is the message with the blue screen. Ive been doing some research and am able to access it when i press FN and then power on.

the type of the file system is NTFS.
The volume is dirty.

Then, CHKDSK is verifying files and does 3 stages.

The first stage says
truncating badly linked attribute records from file record segement 20091.
Deleting corrupt fo;e record segment 20097.

and so on.

File verification is completed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (Stage 2 of 3).

This froze at 6%

joejoe12

joejoe12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
no, unfortunately i dont..i had misplaced it when i first bought the computer

joejoe12

joejoe12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
also, that FN and poweron thing stopped working..it only did it the first time

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's ok...What you have going here is called the "Dirty Bit". We need to unset that Dirty Bit.
  • If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
  • If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
You'll need to run this from a command prompt. If you cannot access Windows normally, try booting to "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" (by tapping the F8 key during the boot sequence) to run the commands.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Please note the spaces in the following commands.)
  • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default)
  • chkntfs /c C: ..... (This will allow checking drive C:)
  • fsutil dirty query c: ..... (This queries the drive and will most likely tell you that it is dirty)
  • chkntfs /x c: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r c: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query c:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Now reboot again and see if chkdsk still wants to run on bootup.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 April 2006 - 10:45 AM.

joejoe12

joejoe12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i'm glad that you seem to know what the problem is, however, i can't even get to the point where i would be able to start it in safe mode..

the screen stays black and the computer is only active for 4-5 seconds (the fan and a green light), but otherwise, thats it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Disconnect the power adapter, remove the battery, and press the power button for about 5 to 10 seconds. Reinstall the battery and reconnect the power adapter. Will it start?

joejoe12

joejoe12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
no luck

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you know anyone with a retail version XP cd you can borrow for a bit?

Advertisements

joejoe12

joejoe12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
possibly, but i would not be able to get it today

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
After removing the battery, did you try the FN + Power button option to start the machine?

joejoe12

joejoe12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks for the help. right now i am (painstakingly) talking with Dell, i will be back shortly to followup.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

(painstakingly) talking with Dell

You said a mouthful there! :whistling:

joejoe12

joejoe12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks for the help!

Dell actually helped solve this problem

what fixed it: (for those who may have this same problem in the future)

I had to take out the two memory cards and replace them in the opposite slots. not very hard to do, but it took quite the while to figure out that I needed to do that.

Im not sure why this worked, but it did.

thanks again!