Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Found Hardware TAPBIND

• Please log in to reply

RMR

RMR

• Pip
  • 5 posts
[size=2]
Good Afternoon,
I am new to your site. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my woes...

When I start my computer, as the programs and desktop loads, I have been receiving messages from New Found Hardward Wizard. There is one for "TAPBIND","Office Source Engine, and Windows Installer. I have attempted each time to find the software on my system, and the Windows XP installation disc. I have searched the Windows help center and received many articles on the problem with no success. At one point my Office programs were unaccessible. The error message indicated I was missing a patch package. I have attempted to "Google" the term TAPBIND to no avail. That is how I happened upon your site. To spare your time, I checked your past discussions and my searches were not successful. I found the components on the list of systems installed hardware and I have disabled them until I can determine what the heck they are. Would you believe they still rear their ugly heads when I log on to the computer again!

Am I a desperate woman? Yes, I am. There will be no cheesy emoticons on this post! So... Grab some coffee, hunker down and pray for daylight. (I know I am!)

I am grateful for any assistance. My tech-y friends have also left my high and dry.

Thank you for the site.
Regina

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Unforgiven

Unforgiven

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Has this problem started in the last week or so?

RMR

RMR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Many thanks Keith and Unforgiven. I will follow your instructions, Keith.
Unforgiven, this has been occurring over the past few weeks. It has only been recently that I was denied access to my programs.
I shall keep you posted.
Regina

RMR

RMR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, Keith and Unforgiven...
Here it is; all the news that is fit to print!
I am receiving notice of the following new hardware:
TAPBIND, L2XPSR, NT LM Security Support Provider, Office Source Engine.

I am desperate. I know it sounds cliche but, please help me!
Regina

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:03:32 PM, on 4/24/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Quicken Online Backup\AgentSrv.EXE
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ups.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\vssvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dmadmin.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust PestPatrol\PPActiveDetection.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Firewall\ca.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Quicken Online Backup\CBSysTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Regina Recchia\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.frontiernet.net/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Mozilla Firefox
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: IeHelper Class - {A491D208-B353-490F-B81A-A8A3DC97042D} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\smiehlp.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eTrustPPAP] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust PestPatrol\PPActiveDetection.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBAutoUpdate] "C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster\sbautoupdate.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Firewall\ca.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [QuickenScheduledUpdates] \bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Online Backup TaskBar Icon.LNK = C:\Program Files\Quicken Online Backup\CBSysTray.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://h10025.www1.hp.com
O16 - DPF: {08BEF711-06DA-48B2-9534-802ECAA2E4F9} (PlxInstall Class) - https://www.plaxo.co...laxoInstall.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {200B3EE9-7242-4EFD-B1E4-D97EE825BA53} (VerifyGMN Class) - http://h20270.www2.h...staller_gmn.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1125076920681
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O23 - Service: Connected Agent Service (AgentSrv) - Connected Corporation - C:\Program Files\Quicken Online Backup\AgentSrv.EXE
O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

RMR

RMR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I hate to be a pain in the motherboard, but can anyone help me with this tapbind business? I went through all the steps pointed out in the "hijack this" protocol, and everything appeared to be in order (nothing really showed up on those radars). Should I just live with this? I am just confused as to why this occurring. Anyhoo. I thank you for any input.

Oh, P.S... I tried the IE 7 Beta. I thought it was horrible. What is the opinions of the readers at large? Is this a topic for another arena? Bear with me... I am green..
Regina