Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting past port filters

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

The Sister

The Sister

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, hopefully I'm posting this in the right part, and hopefully you'll be able to help me. I'm currently at Uni in london living in halls, using uni internet. It's nice and fast and all, but a lot of stuff seems to be filtered out (I assume it's the ports which are filtered, but I don't know much about it tbh). I'm mainly looking to get a few programs to work like teamspeak and ventrilo, and some other games. I've tried looking for programs which forward the ports to 80 or something but I really don't know enough about the subject to be fiddling with too much stuff.

So if anyone has anything useful they can tell me that'd be great as it's a pain in the behind.
Thanks in advance

The Sister

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there The Sister, welcome To Geeks To Go Forums.

Well the standard http port is port 80 and I have not heard of forwading to other ports. Yes it filters the ports but there is a program used for doing that. So what program are you running that may be blocking out certain stuff??? What firewall do you have?

COol :whistling:

The Sister

The Sister

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Like I said, it's not my connection, it's a University connection. They're the ones filtering the ports, not me. I was wondering if there's a program or something which can re-route all my other programs through a useable port.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Sister, there is nothing we can do to help you if that is the way your University set up the connection.

The university put filters on so that prevention of virus and other bad content can be blocked out. This is like a rule set by the university, and we would not want any rules being broken.

Sorry. :whistling: