Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cant do anything

• Please log in to reply

shadystight08

shadystight08

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I am on someone elses computer right now and my computer wont work. The only thing it will do is bring up a black screen that gives me options and which ever one I click they bring me up to a blue screen that says something like ''it will shut down windows so there will be no further damage or something like that. I have a system restore disk and it does bring up an option that says system restore or recovery but it brings me to the blue screen. Is there a way to make the CD restore start up without pushing buttons or anythig? I really appreciate all the help that I can possible get. THANKS A MILLION!!!

Edited by shadystight08, 23 April 2006 - 11:30 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi shadystight08...

How are you getting to the screen with the options and which options have you tried?

wannabe1

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi Wannabe,

The way I get to the screen is simply turning it on. It will bring up the options and then when I click something, it goes to the blue screen.

Here is the options:

Safe Mode Networking
Safe Mode with command prompt
Less know configuration
Your most recent settings that worked
Start windows normally

Advanced Options:

Enable boot lodging
Enable vga mode
directory service restore mode
Reboot Mode
Tried all of them but it brings me to the same blue screen ''a problem has been detected and has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer''.

Edited by shadystight08, 23 April 2006 - 12:32 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This almost sounds like an overheating CPU or possibly a bad motherboard. What kind of computer is this?

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Compaq Presario my house is about 65 degrees. 1 day the power went out at my house and when we got it back, my computer was messed up from there and on.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have access to a regular XP cd rather than a recovery cd?

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Yes. but i just found out i do not have a recovery disk but only a xp professional cd

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does your machine have XP Pro installed?

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Yes

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can.

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

During the update process, if you see or are given the option to refuse KB908531, refuse it. This is a bad update that is particularly rough on HP or Compaq machines. If you are not given the opportunity to refuse this update and experience problems after updating, find it in Add or Remove Programs and remove it.

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thank you

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let me know how it goes... :whistling: