Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restart problem

• Please log in to reply

Matthew1986

Matthew1986

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys, first time posting.

When I restart my computer it will just hang, in limbo, fans still on lights still blinking, but no signal to monitor and it doesnt seem to be starting up, but i dont believe its freezing, although it may be. When I give it a hard shutdown then start it up, it starts normally. I just reformatted my hard drive and clean installed windows XP Pro, however, before the reformat, i have XP Home. Never had a problem like this occur, but it occured every time since the reformat AND finished installation of XP Pro. I am running an ASUS A7N8X ACPI with a AMD Athlon XP cpu. Thanks in advance, let me know if you need any more info or have a question.

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Could be any one of a few things.

-) Scour the ASUS web site for similar problems. You may want to call or email their tech support for help in figuring this out. ASUS is a top-notch company and so should be able to help out. They will want you to have done some basic checks listed below.

-) I've been hearing reports of some USB devices prevent POSTing when left plugged in, even IPODs.

-) Reset the BIOS - there should be a jumper on the mobo near the battery to do this. Make sure the system is powered down when you do this !! Check your mobo manual to find it (and use a flashlight).

-) Remove all plug-in cards except for the video adapter. A bad device can hang the system. Maybe one isn't seated right.

-) A RAM module may have gone bad. If you have more than one, try leaving just one installed at a time and try to restart. Moving multiple RAM sticks around may be enough to get the system to POST. If/when you get it to POST, run Memtest86 to thoroughly test the RAM. Its best to have installed only one RAM stick at a time in order to be able to isolate a bad stick.

-) Bad CMOS battery - replace it with a new CR2032 from Radio Shack or wherever.

-) Bad or inadequate power supplypower supply - try to get another to temporarily test it out.

-) Motherboards can and do just suddenly crap out for no particular reason. ASUS has good warrantees, so I hope you have some kind of proof of purchase in case it comes to this. Finding new Socket-A motherboards is getting very challenging these days.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Ive only had my system hang up on me once. I did a hard shutdown, booted normally into windows. You might wanna defrag and run scandisk. Couldnt hurt Id say. Best way Ive found of resetting the CMOS on mine was simply unplug your comp from power supply or outlet, remove battery, press and hold mouse button for about 5 seconds - thatll get rid of any stored energy- re-install the battery, power-up. All of your bios settings will revert back to default. See if that helps.
Also, check to see before you shutdown, in task manager, if there are any programs hanging up that preventing you from shutting down.
-P.

Edited by p-zero, 24 April 2006 - 02:28 PM.