Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Plugged in IPod now USB's not working

• Please log in to reply

bongobob

bongobob

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I plugged in my IPod, which has worked fine until now, into a USB port. Screen went white then black and computer froze. Turned computer off and back on, everything works fine except all USB ports do not work. I had a wireless mouse in one and the Ipod in another. It would not recognize either, it will charge IPod though. I tried plugging in a printer and it would not work it either. Going to Device Manager it says that the USB's are working normally. Driver update says I have the latest drivers. I have a Toshiba P15-S420 lap top running Windows XP. Any ideas or did I fry the USB's???

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
If all (both ?) your USB ports don't work then I suppose you are now using an ATX mouse (the kind with a small round connector).

Try going in Device Manager again and unistalling the the USB controllers and hubs.

Start > Control Panenel > double-click System > Hardware tabe > Device Manager button > click the plus sign to the left of 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers > right-click on each controller and each hub and select 'Uninstall'

Back out of all the open windows. Restart your computer. The USB devices will automatically re-install themselves.

I have known USB ports that don't work right away and require moving device plugs back and forth amongst the diferent ports several times before they work properly:

While your ATX mouse is plugged in, plug in your USB mouse. This won't hurt anything and will let you know if the USB ports are functional again. Look for a popup box that says a new USB device is being detected and installed. If so, let the installation complete and then try moving the USB mouse and see if the pointer moves around the screen. If this doesn't work, remove the USB mouse from the port and plug it into the other USB port. Look for the popup message again. If this doesn't work, remove the mouse plug and move it back to the first USB port again.

bongobob

bongobob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your help...

I have removed and reinstalled the usb's a couple times, the windows pop up showing new hardware install but they still do not respond to plugins. I removed and reinstalled software for IPod and mouse, no luck. Tried system restore, still not working. Anything else?

bongobob

bongobob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I forgot, I am using the touch pad for a mouse. Nothing will work in any of the USB's, there are 3!