Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB not working all of a sudden. Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

Burnt321

Burnt321

• Pip
  • 5 posts
All of a sudden I cannot use my usb port. I have 2 on my Motherboard and they were working fine. Then nothing works. I have made sure the drivers were updated and the profile says the device is working properly. What the...?

Advertisements

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Are these the USB ports that are directly on your motherboard (part of the i/o plate on the back of your comp) or are they the ones in the front of your machine that are hooked up via jumpers?

Also, what device are you trying to use, and have you tried other devices?

Burnt321

Burnt321

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Both frontside usb and the one's on the motherboard. I have tried all my devices (mice, printer, camera, etc.) and nothing.

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Check in your BIOS and make sure that they are enabled, it is not comon, but some BIOS's have the option to disable USB

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Hi,

Have you checked device manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks under the usb section. you could try uninstalling usb from device manager and reboot this will force xp to re-detect and install drivers for usb.

Burnt321

Burnt321

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yeah I check all of that. I was recently informed that this happened a couple days after a blackout. Do you think they are just burned out? Would the device manager still show them working properly if they were?

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
No do not think so, device manager is detecting them and telling you they are working properly.

Lets check a few steps out with a few questions first, are you plugging usb device in and then not getting the auto-detect box coming up, the one that asks you what action you want to take ?
when you attach the usb device do you hear a ding dong sound ? (put volume up) don't know how else to describe sound. but that is it detecting the usb device. If you open my computer under devices with removable storage do you see any devices ?

Did you try my earlier suggestion to uninstall the usb in device manager and reboot? if so did they detect them and install. you may need to unistall and reinstall any software you have for usb devices before they work ( printer, camara and so on). Do not have any usb devices attached when uninstalling !!!!

if not first check to see if the usb section is showing a mass storage device. if so uninstall in device manager ( single click mass storage device, at top of screen you will see an icon of a monitor with a red cross on it click this). it has been known if a usb device is not correctly removed from a pc a mass storage device is left showing in the usb section when you re-attach another device it will detect it but not bring up the auto-detect box as it points it towards the already detected mass storage device.

Don't know if you have already tried these steps but if not then try them first before doing anything else.

Let me know how you get on :tazz:

juicypork

juicypork

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I also have this problem.

My problem seems to be different though.
I have 4 USB ports found at the front of the machine and 4 at the back.
My front ones also stopped working suddenly. The back ones seems to working just fine. I've checked my device manager, no exclamation marks. I checked BIOS, it seems to be on. I've reinstalled the drivers, no effect. What next?

Thanks.

Paul Chen.

Burnt321

Burnt321

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
scottb: there are no sound when I plug in a USB device. I have also tried unistalling, reinstalling, checked the bios, and even put a different hard drive in and loading up a fresh copy of XP, in case there was a problem in that area. Still nothing. The device manager says the root hub is there, and working properly, but my devices still won't work. Could it be that the power hit that I took damaged my power supply and there isn't enough power going into my motherboard for a usb device to draw power?

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Hi,

sorry been away for a few days.
i thought this was a software issue causing this. don't understand why device manager is telling you they are working properly. your suggestion could be right. it may be worth borrowing a psu and swapping them to check if this cures the problem. if you feel confident in opening up the case. before doing this check your mobo docs for min psu reqirements (wattage etc)

sorry i can't be anymore help that this. let me know how you get on. :tazz:

Advertisements

Burnt321

Burnt321

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried a different power supply this weekend with no good results. I figure there is damage to the motherboard, which forces me to upgrade, which is not so bad. Thanks for all the assistance!

boxxer

boxxer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem and i just can't belive that this is possible. ALL USB ports don't work-> on board, two on the box and another two on PCI card. Is this possible. Even if it is a hardware problem how can it be that just USB on all locations are damaged. I bet that if i plug an extra USB hub on serial port that it won't work even thou that serial work just fine. Why Why Why. Can anybody help me. I tried everything, reinstalled, bios, sistem recovery,... ;) ;) :tazz:

hems

hems

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Boxxer,
Is your usb problem fixed? What did you do to fix it?
Which computer do you have, just a normal one or is it like dell or something?

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
i have had similar probolems in the past go into the device manager and remove all usb related things reboot and all should be fine agen remove the hub and bus etc.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
sorry just as an after thought go into the bios and load optimized defaults some bioses can assign differant sockets to use the same resources and it is usually the usb that looses out.