Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB not working all of a sudden. Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

boxxer

boxxer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Oh,

yes i fixed the problem by taking all additional usb plug in cards out// so now i only have two usb on motherboard. Then i have changed power settings for usb in bios from v2.0 +1.1V to +1.1V only and now everything works fine with two USB.

(I have GA-7N400 Pro2 motherboard) :tazz: But i still don't really know why has this happened ? I am really confused about that.

Advertisements

Chicagowoman

Chicagowoman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HI,

I am having the same problem as some people described over here. I really don't understand computers that much, but from what I read, I have pretty much tried most of the recommended stuff.

Here is the problem:

We have moved and my computer Dell Optiplex G1 was packed away for only about 2 days. At the new apartment I plugged everything back in and it was all working great. No USB issues.
A day later, a friend of mine stopped by and wanted to copy some of my music from my external drive to her laptop. I unplagged the external hard drive and plugged it in her laptop. When I tried to plug it back to the Dell, that [bleep] thing completely freaked out on me and didn't recognize the drive. The same happened to the mouse, printer, camera and card reader, etc.
Simply said, none of my USB work. They are all located on the back of the computer. It's only 2 of them there. they are connected to the motherboard directly. No jumpers. at least it doesn't look like any jumpers to me.

Can anybody PLEASE help me!!?? This old Dell is the only computer I have and I need to use it for school stuff, to print papers and stuff.

I don't know what else to do. I tried reinstalling windows XP, reinstalling the USB drives and nothing has changed.

Please, help! Let me know what else could I do.

thanks a million!!

dana

Chicagowoman

Chicagowoman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HI,

How can find these USB info in the BIOS? My computer is Dell Optiplex G1.
I don't understand that BIOS. Do you know how can I make sure that the USB in the BIOS is not disabled?

tks
dana

rnrvr

rnrvr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i've had the same problem of the USB not working, but after trying 'the one' 's suggestion, my system can recognize and use my USB devices again.

Edweirdo

Edweirdo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My USB ports are not working either. :tazz:

I am running WIndows 98SE and my ports don't work. I plugged in a MadCatz Game Controller and it doesn't recognize it. It used to work, now it doesn't. My USB ports are on the motherboard, and there isn't any USB options in my BIOS.

I've tried both of my available ports...didn't work.
I've tried removing the USB devices in Device Manager...didn't work.
I've tried adding/renaming a custom controller under Control Panel\Gaming Options.
I've even tried removing all USB devices in SAFE mode and removing it from registry as shown in 25-steps at the following link to microsoft. It I ignored the Sidewinder parts(cause I don't have one) and focued on the USB parts...didn't work. http://support.micro...kb;en-us;216096

I'm trying to play a game that requires a gamepad...not workin' for me.

I also made sure the controller works on another system (XP), and it does work.

I don't know what else I could try other than a good ole fashion formatting.

Any suggestions?
FRUSTRATED

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Burnt321
This post is in response to your problem. I suggest the others who need help with their USB start new threads cos it's getting really confusing!

It's just possible in your case that the USB ports are damaged due to the blackout, although it seems a bit unlikely if it was just a power cut. Power surges can damage USB ports & so can lighting storms if you have a USB modem connected to the phone line at the time.

Contrary to other people have said, just because device manager reports the USB to be working, doesn't actually mean it is. DM will say this provided that the controller is enabled in the bios & the system can detect its presence & their are no serious resource conflicts. Be aware here that the controller is the device that DM detects, not the ports themselves as such.

I would try unplugging any USB devices you may have, go into the bios & disable all the USB controllers. Then bring windows up in safe mode. Go into device manager & delete the usb controllers (safe mode should mean that windows doesn't realise they've been disabled yet & so will still list them in DM). Reboot the system normally & let windows redetect & reinstall the controllers.