Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lingering splash screen, slow shut down

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
The system I am working on now has Win98SE Plus, 256K Ram, 8G hard drive. I cleaned out as many unneeded programs as possible, ran defrag, scandisk, etc. Cleaned out cookies and history. Still when it boots, it quickly gets to the splash screen and then appears to hang. After two-three minutes it proceeds to load. Same thing in reverse at shut down. After the shut down, you have a blue screen for much too long and then it finally shuts down. Can I remove WIN98PLus pack with no problems? Would this help? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. :whistling:

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
I would suggest removing all unncessary programs and background tasks, do a virus/spyware scan.
You should be able to remove the plus pack via add/remove programs.

What does the blue screen say?

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
No error messages, no clues, just a plain blue screen. I have been tempted to manually shut down the pc but then I have to deal with scandisk at boot up.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Did you do the other things as well?
Have you tried running a registry cleaner such as CCleaner?