Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

portable media devices

• Please log in to reply

ianbarker142

ianbarker142

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have a 128 mb usb pen drive that was working fine now when i try to copy a file onto it it displays the message the disk is write protected remove the write protection or use another disk i have tried to copy files to the drive with the selector switch on the side of the drive in both settings and it displays the same message is the drive faulty or have i changed a setting i dont know about any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Hi Ian. Lets take a whack or two at this problem.

Make sure you have Sevice Pack 2 installed on your system. It has updates to correct some USB problems.

Next, take the pen drive out of the USB port. Unplug all other USB devices except a USB mouse and USB keyboard.

Now go into Device Manager and Uninstall all the USB devices:
Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button
At the bottom of the list expand the Universal Serial Bus Controller devices. Right-click on each device and select Uninstall. The USB catagory will disappear from the list when the devices are gone.

Now, go back to the Control Panel and double-click on the Add Hardware item. It may ask you to let it go to Windows Update to try to find the driver. Let it do this one time. If you have speakers and they are turned on you will her a few deep beep-beep sounds as the USB devices are detected. When this process is all done try plugging in your pen drive and seeing if it works properly.

If this doesn't work try this. Shut down your system and pull the power plug out for 1 minute. Plug it back in. Start up the system. When all loaded up plug in the flash drive and see if it works properly.

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
My USB drive has a little switch on the side that enables and disables copy-protection, and when it's enabled I more or less can only view the files on it.

Look for a little switch on the side.