Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service pack files ?

• Please log in to reply

Christa

Christa

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
OK, so i go away for two days and one of the kids :whistling: must have had my laptop blah Blah blah... I boot it up today and get this lovely message...

Windows File Protection
Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of the files.

The network location from which the files should be copied,
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386/rtcdll.man, is not available.

Contact your system administrator or insert Windows XP Service Pack2 source Files now.

I DON"T HAVE A DISK :blink:

The screen is kinda messed up display wise, i tried downloading from microsoft the farthest i get with any downloads is to click on them a screen flashes and then disappears.

I tried restore to an earlier time but i get Restore Incomplete or failed (something along those lines)

i could not log on from the desktop icon, i somehow got the interenet explorer to open from the windows folder itself.

So now i'm afraid to close this window, or boot down the pc.

Can my files be saved or am I going to have to do a full restore. ??

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Christa...

Without a cd to gather files from, let's see if Windows will recover them for us.

Click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (Again...note the space) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter to let it run on next boot). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...let it finish.

wannabe1

Christa

Christa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
HI,

Thanks for reading my help wanted post :help:
I did try that from reading another post on this very helpful site. It didnt run. :blink:

So I contuined reading other posts and someone suggested removing sp2 and that fixed their similar error. I did the same and when I rebooted I got nothing, acted like it was going to boot up windows screen started etc... then the screen went black and did nothing more. Then I remembered i had a friends laptop here (that question i'll post in a new forum ~) It had a windows xp disk with it. So i ran it as a remembered reading from a forum on here, as install and then the repair feature.

I'm back up and running as of just now. Have to go update and add service pack2 again.

Thank you again for taking the time to review and help.
I'd just like to know what caused it to do that in the first place. :whistling:
The start menu bar was not visible (white blocked out, couldnt get to start menu etc...)

Blessings,
Christa

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Christa...

Malware can cause these kinds of problems and there is a bad Windows Update (KB908531) that is causing some strange issues on some machines. I may be a good idea to have the machine checked out by our Malware experts.

Glad to hear you were able to recover your machine! :whistling:

wannabe1

Christa

Christa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hi Thanks again.

While i was able to save my system, i'm still having problems with the update 3.1 i get the error that it was not installed. per microsofts wonderful help i try to remove it from add/ remove it disappears from the list but gives me an error. here is the helpful info they gave me. Which really doesnt make sense to me, since it didnt seem to help solve the problem. I've uninstalled the other update you refered too as well.
Should I remove the other updates from microsoft to see if that would help?? It will not let me update anything else, it simply gives me the option to add that 3.1 and no other updates apparently until that one is installed. And i'm sure i need a few of them since i restored with the disk it looks like i lost most of the updates. I disabled auto updates, yet it still keeps appearing that it downloaded. :whistling:

Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
The Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 is the application installation and configuration service for Windows. The additional features in version 3.1 help make creating, distributing, and managing updates to applications easier and more efficient.
How to Uninstall
This software update can be removed via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Get help and support
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803

Thanks so much for your time.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's empty all the Temp files and see if it will install.

Navigate to C:\Temp, open the folder, click "Edit" on the toolbar, choose "Select All", and press the "Delete" key.

Do this in the Temp folders found at C:\Windows\Temp and C:\ Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Temp

You may have to set your Folder View to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" in Folder Options.

Edited by wannabe1, 26 April 2006 - 07:38 AM.

Christa

Christa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Tried once again after doing as you suggested. (the folders were all empty, yes selected view hidden)
Error after last download - directly from microsoft site.

I have plenty of disk space for updates.
auto updates is now off.

when history is checked all i get is the list of failed 3.1 updates
:whistling:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Failed Updates
For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each problem description.

Problem: End User License Agreement (EULA) Not Accepted
Solution: Check for updates again and wait while you install updates. You will be asked to accept the EULA before any updates with a EULA can be installed.

Problem: Not Enough Disk Space
Solution: To make more space available, run the Disk Cleanup tool or uninstall any programs that you don’t use. For directions, see Help and Support on your computer.

Problem: Automatic Updates is currently installing updates
Solution: Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then check your update history. At that time, if the update has failed to install, you can try installing it from the website.
Note: To view Automatic Updates progress, click the updating icon in your System Tray.

Problem: Please check your update history for a description.

Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like a corrupted update file. Windows update will not attempt to re-download the file but it will try to install a corrupted file forever. After the first failed attempt to update, further attempts will list the file download size as zero. The corrupted file is saved in the Windows folder. Look in windows folder C:\windows for a text file named windows update.log and double click to open with notepad (there may be more than one but the logs have a date/time so find the one which corresponds with the last time you attempted an update).

This is the full log of update activity. look in the third collum for the word failure and note the file it is refering to. The file will be located in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download.

Delete that file and re-attempt windows update. It should now re-download the file and install succesfully.

Let me know how this goes...

Christa

Christa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
:help: well it did not work either. When i booted back up I somehow could not get past the Windows Welcome Screen. When i tried to enter password it would flash and read signing on, then the screen would flicker a little and read signing off and tell me password was incorrect. (it was not :blink: ) So i tried admin. which i had no password on it would do the same thing. I would try to log on in safe mode but again go the same screen and same thing would happen.
I tried a windows repair again, but in the end i got a error that file was missing, so i did the ignore on it, and it was shortly followed by other files missing (which I believe were some of the desktop background pictures) The other one was a file hsp?.sys (i forget what the ? was)
I researched it on the hp web site, and basicly they stated reformat was required. :)

So i'm back to scratch, running updates, I'll be sure to ignore that one you spoke about causing problems.

Thank you for your help and time. Now i have to go find the post again on how to make outlook retain passwords. AS well as get rid of the msn messenger for good.
There on this site somewhere, i've used them before.

Blessings and thanks for the Effort Its greatly appreicated. Case Closed. :whistling: