Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Sp2

• Please log in to reply

razz101

razz101

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi when i bought my computer a few months back it came with the windows intallation disc but it is an odd one it doesnt seem to have any direct way of installing it like most discs and i have so much useless stuff on my system i just feel like reformatting the whole system and reinstalling windows

the disc has on it

Title: Microsoft Winsows XP Home Edition SP2
Installation CD

Then 2 Subtitles

1: This is a backup CD Rom only! May be used only with a NEC computer system. Will not function with any other sustem. The software included on this CD Rom was pre-installed on your hard drive at the factory.

2:This CD Rom contains software for backup purposes only. The performance of the software is the sole responsibility of the PC manufacturer of the computer system purchased with the software

and then the NEC Logo and that is it

i would really like to use this disc to reformat
any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Should be able to boot straight off it, these types of disk usually wipe the machine anyway. You're not supposed to be able to install from them within Windows.

Basically, shove it in the drive, reboot your computer and see if it starts up off the CD. if it doesn't, reset and look out on the screen for a boot menu option - its usually either F8, F11, F12 or ESC - and press it. Then choose CD.

Failing that, go straight into BIOS (usually F1, F2 or Del) and change the boot order in there.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If this windows installation disk is anything like the compaq ones there is no OS on the CD. What it does is call up the hidden partition where a backup of the OS is and reinstalls it back to the "C" drive. I made the mistake of fdisking and formatting a compaq and then i found out about whats on the CD. I ended up buying a XP CD so i could install a OS. Compaq was no help at all. All they would do is sell me a XP cd for $90 and they were sorry that i was stupid enough to fdisk the drive.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If the system has a valid liscencse you can request a new disk from MS and they just send you them free of charge usually. And even if it doesnt You dont pay for the MS disk you pay for the liscence MS dont care how you obtain your copy of the windows installation disk as long as it has a valid liscense it can be gotten any method you wish to use. They also have no copy protection and you can just copy a friends perfectly legally.