Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply

Fencer

Fencer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
The treatment for this is probably stupidly simple, but I checked most of the forums and couldn't find it: whenever I shut down my computer, a window will show um saying that explorer.exe won't alow it to proceed. Then, I have to "end task" in order to shut it down.

What can I do?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Fencer...

If this just started happening in the last wek or so, it may be related to a Microsoft update that has been causing problems like this. Open Control Panel and doble click the Add or Remove Programs icon. Tick the box to "Show Updates" and scroll down the list to where the Windows Updates are listed. Is Security update KB908531 listed? Does the date of it's installation match the date that you began having problems?

wannabe1

Fencer

Fencer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes, it is listed and its instalation date is about the same of when I started having problems. Should I uninstall it?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, do a system restore to the first date prior to the update being installed. Then turn off the Automatic Updates until Microsoft releases the "patched patch" which, according to Microsoft, will be in the next few days.

To turn off Automatic Update, right click on My Computer and choose "Properties"...click on the "Automatic Update" tab and tick the radio button next to "Turn off automatic updates". "Apply" the change and click "Ok".

Let me know if this improves the problem.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
You know things are going wrong when they start making patched patches.. :whistling:

After reading this topic, Reminded me to update my computer ( I usually do it every friday manually, my automatics are off by my choice )

Skipped that specific update, and prob saved myself alot of trouble, so thanks.