Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP freezing

• Please log in to reply

myst118

myst118

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,

I've been experiencing an annoying problem with Windows XP. It happens when I launch one program from another program - for example, double-clicking on a saved Web page from within Windows Explorer to bring up my browser. Usually this works fine, but occasionally the first program freezes up - sometimes very briefly, sometimes for as long as five or ten seconds - before becoming responsive again and launching the second program. This has been happening for at least several months. More recently, a new symptom has appeared: if I pull up the Windows Start menu but click elsewhere on the screen, the Start menu sometimes (with a frequency of around 1 in 4 or 1 in 5, it seems) freezes in place for a few seconds before becoming responsive again.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Is this a hardware issue, or could it be a software problem that I could fix?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi myst118...

This sounds like it may also be caused by a Microsoft update.

Open Control Panel and doble click the Add or Remove Programs icon. Tick the box to "Show Updates" and scroll down the list to where the Windows Updates are listed. Is Security update KB908531 listed? Does the date of it's installation match the date that you began having problems?

wannabe1

myst118

myst118

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did have that security update. I removed it and, as far as I can tell, the problem seems to be fixed. (I Googled this and found that the problem caused by that patch seems to be specific to HP computers, which is what I have.) Is my computer now vulnerable to the exploit that patch fixes, though?

Thanks a million for your help!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
According to Microsoft, they will be releasing a "patched patch" in the next few days. I would recommend that you turn off the Automatic Update feature until they do to prevent this one from getting back in. To do that, right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Under the "Automatic Update" tab, tick the radio button to "Turn off automatic updates"..."Apply" the change and click "Ok".

Glad that resolved the problem for you... :whistling:

wannabe1