Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless home Network Problem

• Please log in to reply

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Ok, here's there problem. I used the wizard in Microsoft Windows XP Home Sp2 to make a wireless network. I have a desktop which connects through a the wireless router via ethernet, then to my cable modem. I have a laptop that connects via the wireless router.
I can connect to the laptop from the desktop fine, and even mapped the drive to the desktop my computer. But I cannot access the desktop from the laptop. I can see it in the Workgroup Computers, but when I double click on it I get an access error. Anyone have any solution.
Both computers have the same operating system listed above, but the laptop has a password and the desktop doesn't. Need any more info let me know.
Thanks for the help in advance :whistling:

Advertisements

orbitalegg

orbitalegg

• Pip
  • 7 posts
have you granted the proper permissions

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I don't know. How would I check that?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Dreylivude,

Basic Checklist for Networking
1. Ensure that all firewalls are disabled for all computers involved -- it's important that you have all firewalls disabled (including the Windows Firewall).
2. Ensure that all computers on the network are in the same workgroup.
3. Ensure each computer has File and Printer Sharing installed.
4. Ensure that you have File Sharing enabled - to do this, right-click on any Drive or Folder on one (or all) of the computers, and select Sharing and Security.... Ensure that Share this folder on the Network is enabled.

As to the necessary permissions --
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Performance and Maintenance --> Administrative Tools --> Local Security Policy --> Expand Local Policies --> Select User Rights Assignment

Now, check the following:
Access this computer from the network --> Ensure that Administrator, Guest and Everyone is on this list; if not, choose Add User Group and add them.
Deny access to this computer from the network --> Ensure that Everyone and Guest are not on this list.
Deny logon locally --> Ensure that Guest is not part of this list.

Now, under Security Options, check the following:
Accounts: Administrator account status --> Enabled
Accounts: Guest account status --> Enabled
Network Access: Let everyone permissions apply to anonymous users --> Enabled
Network access: Sharing and security model... --> Guest only

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I did all the things you mentioned first, but when it comes to the permissions my computer does not have that exact path. So I was unable to find where it is on my computer. My computer goes, Start>control panel>administrative tools, but then I don't see anything even relating to what you mention. I am running Windows XP Home Edition service Pack 2, so maybe that's why I can't see that.

In_The_Closet

In_The_Closet

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I did all the things you mentioned first, but when it comes to the permissions my computer does not have that exact path. So I was unable to find where it is on my computer. My computer goes, Start>control panel>administrative tools, but then I don't see anything even relating to what you mention. I am running Windows XP Home Edition service Pack 2, so maybe that's why I can't see that.

The reason that you couldn't follow the Permissions part is because you don't have Windows XP Professional. I'll get you some information on your problem if you are still having trouble.

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I am still having trouble, and would appreciate the help.