Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

updates for computer

• Please log in to reply

suegy

suegy

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Whenever I first turn on my computer, I get the message that updates are ready for my computer. I click on the icon to install them and it appears that it is working, but then I get an error message that says "This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM." I have no idea what that is or if it's something I even have. Can anyone help, please?

Thanks.

S. Gilson

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello suegy...

Open Control Panel and double click the Java icon. Under the "Update" tab, click on the "Update Now" button. Let me know the result of this.

wannabe1

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I did that and it downloaded and installed an update - Runtime Environment 5 Upgrade 6, or something like that. I restarted my computer and I got the icon again to download updates, and got the error that it would only update a current version of Microsoft VM. Not sure yet what will happen when I boot it up again. I'll keep you posted with that.

Thanks.

S. Gilson

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I haven't received this error the last few times I've booted up my computer, so it appears that was the answer. Thanks and have a great day!

S. Gilson

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help! :whistling:

wannabe1

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Guess what? I got the error again today, after the computer had been off and on a couple different times. Why would that happen? Surely I wouldn't have updates every time I turn on the computer?!

Thanks.

S. Gilson

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's go back to the java update settings and have a look. Control Panel...double click Java. Under the "Update" tab, clear at the bottom, what is the date. (Mine updated last night)

Make sure that the Auto Update feature is still off. Click the Update Now button.

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
It says it was last updated May 1 - 4:57 pm

The auto update box was checked, so I unchecked that and clicked update now. I got a message that I already have the latest version of that.

Now what?

S. Gilson