Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless config help

• Please log in to reply

h0tpants

h0tpants

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
i have 2 pc's & xbox360 connected to my router/modem. My question is this: My connection seems to lag quite a bit even if i'm just surfing the net. I have a wireless modem/router and think maybe a neighbor is yoinking my connection or something. Is there a way I can shut the wireless capabilities down or anything?

Advertisements

Possible

Possible

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
What you can do is setup encryption on the router. That way only the people with the key can access the wireless.

Does it lag if you connect directly to the modem? or is it a router and modem in one?

h0tpants

h0tpants

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
it is a router and modem in one. how can i find out how to setup and encryption? thanks for the reply.

Possible

Possible

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
what is the make and model of the router?

usually you can check by:

if running winxp - click start > run and type cmd
in the command prompt type ipconfig
the default gateway address is usally your router ip address (e.g. 192.168.0.1)
type that ip address in the web browser, should prompt to log into the router. user name and password could vary depending on the router, but if you dont know try admin for user name and leave password box blank and click OK

let me know if u get there

h0tpants

h0tpants

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
thanks possible for the help. i got it figured out with what you gave me. sorry for the time it took to respond, was gone for a couple days.

Possible

Possible

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
That's great!

I hope it works out