Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me build the fastest non-gaming cpu!

• Please log in to reply

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I am ready to dtrp up and build myself a computer. I am not huge on gaming and the only type of game I MAY play in the future would be Madden or some other sports game. I am trying to build a system that will be very fast with Apps, be able to multitask, and be extremely fast in all tasks.

I am looking to spend a total of $1400-$1500 without Monitor mouse keybaord etc.

Please help me pick some parts for this machine.

Thanks.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I am ready to dtrp up and build myself a computer. I am not huge on gaming and the only type of game I MAY play in the future would be Madden or some other sports game. I am trying to build a system that will be very fast with Apps, be able to multitask, and be extremely fast in all tasks.

I am looking to spend a total of $1400-$1500 without Monitor mouse keybaord etc.

Please help me pick some parts for this machine.

Thanks.

Look into an amd dual core x2 with 2gb of ram and you said you wont be playing any games but madden. You could get away with a cheap video card from the sounds of it. You need to be shure now though and think it through its better off to go ahead and get a good quality video card for atleast $170-$200, you dont sound like you need a $400-$500 video card...

You need a dual core cpu

you need atleast 2gb of ram, it should be plenty

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
What would be a good motherboard to get?

If i get an AMD X2 chip, how much better and faster will apps be going from a 4200+ to a 4400+?

How much power do i need to run this? 500W?

Thanks.

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
go with 4400 (more l2 cache). Get a 7600gt vid card. A good MSI motherboard. Antec sonata II case.(come with good power supply).

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

What would be a good motherboard to get?

If i get an AMD X2 chip, how much better and faster will apps be going from a 4200+ to a 4400+?

How much power do i need to run this? 500W?

Thanks.

The 4400+ X2 not only is a better cpu with more cache on the processor it is also the better core which is the toledo. The toledo is the cpu that I would get if I were buying a dual core X2.

You said non-gaming so a 7600gt would be fine and you can even play games on it if you ever decide to do so. Its a good mid performance card for the price/performance ratio and you cannot beat it for the money..

MSI,DFI,Abit, and Gigabyte make good motherboards...

You only need a 500watt its plenty of power. Antec, enermax,OCZ,Ultra and Thermaltake make great power supplies..

Edited by jrm20, 25 April 2006 - 08:50 AM.

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
The 4400+ is the Toledo core. The Manchester is the 4200+ and 4600+ i believe.

Im gonna come back and post a list of what parts i am lookin at from newegg so please resond.

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ok heres my list of parts. The only thing missing is a motherboard. Please help me choose a good one.

ATX Computer Cases
Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price
1 RAIDMAX RX-9 SE ATX-911SEB Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$89.99 $89.99
CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives)
1 PLEXTOR 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Beige IDE Model PX-716A/SW - Retail
Model #: PX-716A/SW
$125.00 $125.00
Internal Hard Drives
1 Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$130.00
Keyboards
1 Microsoft Natural 4000 B2M-00012 Black USB Wired Ergonomics Keyboard - Retail
$49.98 $49.98
Memory - System
1 CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX2048-3200 - Retail
$165.00
Monitors - LCD
1 BenQ FP202W Black 20.1" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
$379.95 $379.95
Mouse
1 Logitech Value 953817-0403 Black 3 Buttons 1x Wheel PS/2 Optical Mouse - OEM
$6.00 $6.00
Power Supplies
1 ePOWER EP-500XP ATX12V/ EPS12V 500W Power Supply - OEM
$25.99
Processors
1 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX - Retail
$460.00 $460.00
Video Cards
1 XFX PV-T73G-UDF3 Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
$172.99 $172.99

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Does everything look compatible?

ribl3t

ribl3t

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Looks good, just make sure that ur mobo is compatible with your processor (socket 939), compatible with your RAM (184 pin), and has SATA capabilities to support your hard drive, other thann that just check reviews and stick with namebrand boards. Also make sure it has at least one PCI express (x16 not x1) expansion slot for your graphics card.

Also you might wanna look at getting a more trustworthy power supply, that one is OEM which means that there may not be any warranty with it (usually not), also try to grab one that has plenty of airflow and is RETAIL, the one that came with my case was the reason for my computers temperature problem.

-Derek

Edited by ribl3t, 25 April 2006 - 08:30 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It is toledo but there are so many cores we have to remember we sometimes get confused we all do it now and again.

If you dont plan to overclock though you dont need XMS ram you can get away with value select from corsair same stuff really if you get the low timing value select and it just doesnt have the heat sinks(not really needed and cheap to add) and it doesnt have an overclocking warranty which is basically what you pay for when you buy xms.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

The 4400+ X2 not only is a better cpu with more cache on the processor it is also the better core which is the Toledo. The Toledo is the cpu that I would get if I were buying a dual core X2.

You said non-gaming so a 7600gt would be fine and you can even play games on it if you ever decide to do so. Its a good mid performance card for the price/performance ratio and you cannot beat it for the money..
MSI,DFI,Abit, and Gigabyte make good motherboards...

You only need a 500watt its plenty of power. Antec, enermax,OCZ,Ultra and Thermaltake make great power supplies..

Ya I caught the mistake. everyone makes a mistake, sorry. I meant toledo and was thinking it when I typed but I somehow didnt type the right one.. lol

Edited by jrm20, 25 April 2006 - 08:51 AM.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I was going to buy the 4400 cpu until I found the Opteron 165. This thing is AWESOME! Has good cache, and its VERY overclockable. Ive gotten it to run @ 2.5ghz with the stock 1.4v, and air cooling, never went above 47c. just a thought because its WAY cheaper and basically has the same stats. And its a toledo core also.
-P.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I was going to buy the 4400 cpu until I found the Opteron 165. This thing is AWESOME! Has good cache, and its VERY overclockable. Ive gotten it to run @ 2.5ghz with the stock 1.4v, and air cooling, never went above 47c. just a thought because its WAY cheaper and basically has the same stats. And its a toledo core also.
-P.

Ya the opteron is a good cpu I know alot about it and what it can achieve but he doesnt seem to want to overclock at all so the amd dual core X2 would be his best bet. If he wanted to overclock the opteron would be better though by far for the money..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are going opteron get them quick once stocks run out AMD will be selling them direct and home users wont be able to buy them for the prices they are now the will be priced much higher.

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
What do i need to buy if i decide to get the opteron and overclock it? Xms ram, better power supply, what else?