Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Increase RAM/Optimiser

• Please log in to reply

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hello, does anyone know a good RAM optimiser, that would virtually increase my memory size? I mean through a software, please don't tell me to buy a new RAM. :whistling:.

My memory size is 256 MB, I run WinXP Home with no SPs, over it NOD32 antivirus and ZoneAlarm firewall. I have RAM Idle already, but still looking for something really good.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you could always increase your virtual memory.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hello, does anyone know a good RAM optimiser, that would virtually increase my memory size? I mean through a software, please don't tell me to buy a new RAM. :whistling:.

My memory size is 256 MB, I run WinXP Home with no SPs, over it NOD32 antivirus and ZoneAlarm firewall. I have RAM Idle already, but still looking for something really good.

There is no such thing, all these programs that RAM Idle and what do is push stuff out of the memory that Windows ends up having to reload anyway for one reason or another. All you're doing is making your life harder.

You will get far better performance by buying another stick of memory and dumping RAM Idle as it offers no benefit to you.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
RAM optimising/RAM defragging programs are completely overrated.
More often then not they just dump things into virtual memory which makes the PC run slower.

You know you should really install SP2 it does increase security and fix loads of bugs.

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I don't know, I installed SP2 and it ... politely messed up many things on my computer. :whistling:

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
But thanks for replys, I have removed RAM Idle. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

My memory size is 256 MB, I run WinXP Home

good luck with that...even xp home runs awefull on 256....512 is optimum for all xp versions

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, while technically enough ram it doesnt like it, even with 512 while it doesnt use it the extra memory is just enouh to give the apps breathing room so to speak.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
What I use, and what seems to work for me is TweakXP from TotalIdea.com. I have it set to optimize my RAM every hour, and instead of having my memory at 620MB free, I've gotten it up to 890MB free. Even if this isn't the best optimization program, I highly suggest it just for the fact that it puts all controls into an easy to use interface, and allows all those little tweaks you never knew about before :whistling:

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

I don't know, I installed SP2 and it ... politely messed up many things on my computer.

Better that than no service pack. With no service packs your wide open for a Malware infection.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Although SP2 errors are largely down to malware infections before hand.

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
A technical query: I don't have any SPs, but I have ZoneAlarm (hopefully) set properly, most programs have to ask me for permission to use the Internet, I use NOD32, regularly updated and AdAware run every week with new definition files. Is that enough or should I take some more measures?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You should install the service packs they are fairly essential.