Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection drops while downloading

• Please log in to reply

xciteurmom

xciteurmom

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I searched and couldn't come up with anything exactly like this problem.

My signal says Excellent strength. I have fast speed when internet browsing. I have fast download speeds (150kbs on torrents). However, whenever I'm downloading for 10-20 minutes, I get disconnected. I never disconnect when not downloading, but almost always when I start downloads. Sometimes it takes longer, sometimes its almost immediate, but its always only when downloading.

Ive done tech support with linksys twice, I cant take another one, they just troubleshoot down a list and it takes 30 minutes to get anywhere, if they can ever understand English. Please help.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi xciteurmom -- can't say I'm a huge fan of your name :whistling:

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR --> press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find a TCP/IP error, please open it by double clicking on it. Is the error message inside identical to this:
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.
If so, please download this Patcher (the english version; top link). Run it (choose to increase the limit to 100). Reboot your computer and test your connection.
Please list any other errors/warnings located in your log. *NOTE: Ignore any prompts from Windows to insert your Windows XP CD to repair files; this is normal, and is simply letting you know that you have modified a Systems file -- there is no System instability.

xciteurmom

xciteurmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry for the name Dan :whistling:

Here's the event log:

First was this:

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C090BCE7-98C3-450D-8D9C-B7D1B764C2F6} because a master browser was stopped.

Then 2 seconds later, this:

The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{C090BCE7-98C3-450D-8D9C-B7D1B764C2F6} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Sorry for the name Dan :blink:

:whistling: I'm sure I'll live.

I would highly recommend that you ensure that you have the latest drivers installed for your Network Adapter; this problem often arises in Wireless environments where they're not using the most up-to-date software.

Please goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right-click your Local Area Connection --> Select Properties --> Press the Configure... button, next to your NIC --> Select the Power Management tab --> Ensure the option Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. is unchecked.

After doing these two things, do you still experience the loss of connection?

xciteurmom

xciteurmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've been updated with the drivers - changed those settings now (I did both LAN and wireless, im connecting through wireless).

I'm off to class, looks like time will tell if this worked. Gracias.

xciteurmom

xciteurmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Update- Just disconnected again while downloading, although I didnt disconnect the whole time I was gone.

I checked the error messages, same ones as before. Any ideas?

*Edit - And again. Didnt help :whistling:

Edited by xciteurmom, 25 April 2006 - 03:33 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Sorry, for some reason I didn't notice that you had replied.

How many computers are there on your network?

If you're running Windows XP SP2, please see the following MS Article: Programs that connect to IP addresses that are in the loopback address range may not work as you expect in Windows XP Service Pack 2.

If you're not running SP2, or if problems persist, please run the patcher mentioned in my first post (even though the error was not present in your log).

- Dan

xciteurmom

xciteurmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I reinstalled my drivers at the recommendation of Linksys, testing it out now.

I downloaded that patch file, but when I ran it, it said it wasnt needed, so the patch was aborted.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Munk

Munk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't know how old this thread is, but I've been having the same issue. Windows XP Pro SP2.

I'm getting the Tcpip 4226 errors, and I ran that patch Dan G linked, and changed the number of connections to 100, and rebooted. Still getting the Tcpip errors, and still dropping my connection during downloads.

Won't even start some downloads. Like downloading iTunes/Quicktime off Apple's site. Just hangs at Starting... or 4kb...

General surfing and whatnot I have zero problem with.

xciteurmom

xciteurmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeah, after I did everything Dan said, I'm still constantly disconnecting while downloading.

Munk, you don't happen to have Linksys WRT54G do you? I believe thats the model number..

I actually talked to another friend of mine who described the same problem, and he had the same exact model of router that I have. Yours the same?

Advertisements

Munk

Munk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
WRT54GSV4, with latest firmware. I'd like to say it's the router, but I had one before this (D-Link something-or-other) and I had the same issues. Whole reason I switched out that one for this was because I assumed it was a router issue. But I'm getting the same problem on both.

Any ideas?

Munk

Munk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
That's not to say I'm not willing to try a different router if it'll get this fixed. But the only consistency between my last and this has been the comp and my usb wireless adapter (D-Link AirPlus G).

The computer running ethernet to the router has no connectivity issues.

xciteurmom

xciteurmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Wish I could help but Im still waiting on it myself. If youre anything like me you've been to tech support with Linksys several times, each time they gave you an "answer" that ended up not working. I asked the guy if this was a common problem, he said no, which I find hard to believe.

I've done several things - firmware (of course, they ask me every [bleep] time), channel settings, etc, all the stuff Dan mentioned.

It doesnt make sense that it would be too far away, because it works fine normally. The strength is excellent, and it only happens when downloading. I just dont understand. Ive even reformatted thinking it was a software issue, but that didnt help.

Sigh..

*Edit - just for the record, v5 here. WRT54G v5. What model of wireless are you using? I'm WUSB11 v2.8

Edited by xciteurmom, 12 May 2006 - 12:45 PM.

Munk

Munk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Using a D-Link AirPlus G (DWL-G122) usb adapter.

xciteurmom

xciteurmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
How far away are you from the router?