Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Real player crashes all the time

• Please log in to reply

Souley16

Souley16

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've got real player 10.5 installed on my laptop and it crashes all the time. It is really slow to load especially when I am trying to open playlists and I remember it used to load quickly before. I'be backed up my playlists many times but sometimes when real player crashes, they get restored to old playlist backups. I've reinstalled the software many times without changes.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could try real alternative if its all real player only files. Otherwise i would just switch to winamp real player isnt very good never has been, ony saving grace for real is there top notch video compression.

Souley16

Souley16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
If I haven't switched to other players, its because Real player seems to have the crispest sound among all the players I've tried.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Codecs used are all identical sound difference isnt actually there player to player all you can change is equaliser settings to alter sound the actual sound output from the files is completely identical to wether it was played on winamp, media player classic, or real player. Some can become clogged up when they have been running for a long time which makes start up times longer and they continue to load there backup files after each install which is why it is slow for you after a reinstall as its settings related and user file related.

If the equaliser settings are the same then if the sound seems "crisper" its in your head, real player also from experience will actually sound worse as it has its bugs, but ive not used it in years for general use only videos which i dont use it for anymore again because of its bugs and slow performance(its autoupdater has a huge memory footprint) i just use media player classic and winamp.

To fully reinstall it clean you need to remove all references to real player all user files and registry references need to be removed all of them players keep a couple of backups in there instalation folder and in all the user folders.

Souley16

Souley16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thx for the tip, I actually wondered about the equalizer settings at one time but forgot about it somehow. I'll try to have the same equalizer settings on winamp or real player and c what happens.

Thx again for the help.