Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help no sound

• Please log in to reply

healy787

healy787

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hello i am new. i have been having problems with the sound on my PC for a while. as in i have no sound!! it is ac97 onboard sound. i have even lost the little speaker icon in the task bar. i am at thew end of my tether with it. i have tried reinstallin the drivers etc and i even reinstalled windows to no avail. i am really stuck now. can someone please help me???? i want sound back. im not sure if u need to no wot motherboard, bios i have etc. so i will wait for a reply before i post anymore info. thankyou in advance.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi healy787...

Click Start, point to Settings, and click Control panel. Double click on the "Multi Media" icon. Under the "Audio" tab, in the "Playback" section, make sure that AC97 sound device is selected as the preferred playback device. Put a tick in the box at the bottom of the window to "Show volume control on the taskbar". Click "Apply" then "Ok". Reboot.

Sound?

wannabe1

healy787

healy787

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi thnx for ur reply. i have done that and it says no playback device. and the drop down menu is grey and i cannot click the arrow. below it it also says there is no recording device. also there is no check box for "show volume control" only one for "use only preferred devices". what does this all mean??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...time for more specs.

What motherboard and processor do you have.

healy787

healy787

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi. motherboard is: AOpen MX3W Pro
Processor is:Intel Celeron, 600 MHz and BIOS is Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG just in case u need to no this as well.
thanks again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's start from the beginning. Restart the machine and enter the BIOS setup by tapping the "Delete" key during the boot sequence. When at the first BIOS screen, use the down arrow key to select "Integrated Periferals", and press "Enter" to select it.

In the Integrated Periferals screen, use the down arrow to scroll down to "AC97 Audio" (near the bottom) and press "Enter" to select it. If it is not set to "Auto", use the + or - key to change it to Auto.

If you make any changes, press "F10" to save them. Accept the change if prompted and exit BIOS setup.

Let it boot into Windows and try to adjust the settings as suggested in post #2. If the settings are still not available, download the drivers below and double click on the file to extract it. Make note of the location they extract to. Let me know when you have done this and what you find with the settings.

Audio Driver Download.

healy787

healy787

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi. audio is and was enabled in BIOS. still cannot carry out step in post #2. downloaded the driver and extracted it and it came up with a message sayin "update not compatible with your version of windows". i am running ME and on the download page it said the file was compatible with ME? im confused. thnx once again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
So we dig deeper for the problem...

Click Start then Search. In the search box, type machine.inf, and click "Search Now".

In the Search Results pane, locate the version of this file located in C:\Windows, right click on it, and choose "Copy". Open "My Documents" and "Paste" this file there. Now right click on this file and choose "Open With", choose Notepad from the list, and click "Ok".

In the Notepad that opens, click on "Search", choose "Find", and type excludefromselect in the search box, and click on "Find Next".

What is the value listed after the = sign?

healy787

healy787

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
search could not locate the file. i have manually looked around tryin to locate the file but to no avail???

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the search options set to search subfolders (under Search Options)...make sure "Advanced Options" and "Search Subfolders" are both checked and that "Case Sensitive" is not.

Search again...

Advertisements

healy787

healy787

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
"Advanced Options" and "Search Subfolders" are both checked and that "Case Sensitive" is not.-they are already set to that and search can still not locate the file.

healy787

healy787

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok figured it out.it was set to "do not show hidden files and folders. heres wot i have found. i wasnt sure which value you needed? so am pasting them all,in order, as they are displayed.
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0A05
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0A06
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C00
ExcludeFromSelect=BIOS\*PNP0C01
ExcludeFromSelect=ACPI\*PNP0C01
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C01
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C02
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C04
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C05
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C06
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C07
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C09
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C0A
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C0B
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C0C
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C0D
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C0E
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C0F
ExcludeFromSelect=PCI\IRQHolder
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0CF0
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0CF1
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0000
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0001
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0002
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0003
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0004
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0200
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0201
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0202
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0B00
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0100
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0101
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0102
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0800
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C14
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQFA1B
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQ9A83
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQA090
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQA0A0
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQA0B0
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQFA1B
ExcludeFromSelect=ISAPNP\ReadDataPort
ExcludeFromSelect=ACPI\ACPI_INTERRUPT
ExcludeFromSelect=VPOWERD\BATTERY
ExcludeFromSelect=ACPI\ACPI0003
ExcludeFromSelect=ACPI\COMPBATT
ExcludeFromSelect=*PNP0C15
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQAE30
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQAE3B
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQAE3C
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQAE4A
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQAE4B
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQAE4C
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQAE4D
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQAE53
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQAE54
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQAE55
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQB0EE
ExcludeFromSelect=*CPQB05F
ExcludeFromSelect=*HWPC209

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Those are all correct...back to the drawing board. Let me do a little more research...I'll get back to you directly. :whistling:

healy787

healy787

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok. thankyou v.much for ur help so far.it is much appreciated.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do another search...this time for system.ini

Right click on it and choose "Copy". "Paste" this to your "My Documents" folder. Double click on the file, it should open in Notepad. Copy/Paste evereything under the [Boot] section here for me.

Edited by wannabe1, 27 April 2006 - 04:53 PM.