Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Active X on '98 SE

• Please log in to reply

crysi1

crysi1

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I got my mom's old PC out of the garage and I am attempting to restore it enough so she can email distant relatives and browse the web some. So far the only problem I have encountered is when I try to scan it using Symantec online scan, Pcpitstop full system online scan or any other program using active x it will not work and I've gotten a message "active x is not supported" or "can not install controls". I have double checked my settings in IE 6 and they are correct. I have also gotten all windows updates. What else can I do :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With IE, check everything is set to default

This will rebuild the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, give it a minute to arrive at the prompt with a flashing cursor then type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

This part is optional

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

crysi1

crysi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Went through all the steps successfully however active x is still not working... anything else I can do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you go to windows update and click review installation history and then post the 5 most recent ones

crysi1

crysi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
updates: April 22, 2006

directx 9.0 End user runtime
active accessibility update 1.2
security updates for windows KB891711
KB896358
KB908519
security updates for direct x KB904706
cumaltive security update for IE6 SP1 KB912812

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you able to uninstall this one

cumaltive security update for IE6 SP1 KB912812

crysi1

crysi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry it takes me so long but I have to think where things are located on the old '98 PC. Under add/remove programs it shows : Internet Explorer Q912812 not KB912812 but I assume this is the update you would like me to uninstall? Afterwards would you like me to give her a spin and see if that clears the activex problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes please

crysi1

crysi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Active X is now working! :whistling: Thank you Keith, this is the second time you have helped me resolve PC problems. Just out of curiosity what was it about this update that caused the problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
They do not appear to have got it quite right with the recent updates for all versions of windows