Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor & heating

• Please log in to reply

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Well, I bought a P4 3.4 to replace my 2.2 Celeron. First problem of the day.. bent pin on the CPU! I pulled out my pocket knife and after trying to get my eyes adjust to sooooo many little pins, I readjusted it. I about had a heart attack, but will I experience any issues due to this? I'm running on it right now and am not noticing anything.

Next issue, EXTREME HEAT! Maybe this is normal, you guys can tell me. My 2.2 Celeron ran around 50-60 celcius. This processor got up to 73 celcius while installing the drivers for my new sound card. Right now its bouncing around in the 60s. Maybe I'm panicking too soon. This is the first time I've installed a processor on my own CPU. I put some Arctic Silver 5 on there, I know it takes some time to settle in, maybe I just need to wait. I am a gamer, so I know the heat will go up when its under load.

Last thing.. I picked up this heatsink and fan here. I have two options, due to the fan, either point it at my graphics card or at my power supply. I don't like either option honestly, but I went for powersupply. Any thoughts on that?

Last thing, I think trying to stare at those little pins on the CPU screwed up my eyes :whistling:

*edited some things that I mistyped :blink:

Edited by ADNoland, 25 April 2006 - 06:46 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

CPU pins - you obviously haven't caused too much damage as the cpu still works. The biggest risks when you bend & straighten out cpu pins are (1) static damage (2) weakening the pins itself - in other words, the more it gets bent about, the more likely it is to snap off completely!

Heat - P4's do run fairly hot, although if its reaching 73C while just installing a sound card driver then that seems fairly extreme.
When you upgraded your cpu, did you use the old heatsink/fan from the celeron or did you have a stock heatsink/fan that came with the P4?
Also, how much thermal paste did you apply & did you make sure there was no thermal pad on the heatsink or old thermal compound?

If you have used the correct heatsink/fan & applied the thermal paste correctly etc, then you may want to concentrate on other ways of cooling the system down. These include :
-making sure that airflow through the case is not obstructed by cabling, in particular, IDE ribbon (flat) cables.
-install more case fans if possible & check that they blow in one end of the case & out of the other
-make sure your existing fans grills/vents are not clogged up with dust

I have two options, due to the fan, either point it at my graphics card or at my power supply. I don't like either option honestly, but I went for powersupply. Any thoughts on that?

I assume you meant the cpu, not the power supply! I would probably have the fan blowing air in over the cpu but obviously this depends on which of the two need it the most. You may do well to install an exhaust fan next to the video card in addition to the other fan blowing over the cpu.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Well, I checked the Artic Silver website and I put on the amount it said to put on for a p4.

As for the heatsink and fan I included a link, I'll repost it here.

http://www.tigerdire...1239484&CatId=0\

This heatsink/fan doesnt have the fan blowing toward the case side, it has it blow up to the top of the case or to the bottom, I have it blowing to the top of the case towards the powersupply.

My current case temp is in the low 40s celcius.

Edited by ADNoland, 24 April 2006 - 08:43 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 – ADNoland – [MassCool CPU Fan]
25th April 2006

My thoughts – CPU Cooling

Last thing.. I picked up this processor here. I have two options, due to the fan, either point it at my graphics card or at my power supply. I don't like either option honestly, but I went for powersupply. Any thoughts

I am not sure how good this concept is [??] – The Fan & Heat-sink Assembly is mounted 90° to CPU – so it is actually blowing cool air across the CPU – Reading the review that was contained in your link, showed your results to be expected.

It appears to me that this rotated airflow would cause – Air Turbulence – and cannot exit/exhaust the – Hot Air - quickly. Also 28 cfm does not appear to be effective enough when rotated [??]

It looks/appears that the – Case – & Power Supply – Mounting/location referenced to CPU – would have a factor on the Cooling efficiency, which it normally does, but probably more with this concept [??]

And having the choice of blowing – Hot Air – across either the Power Supply or Video Card – is wrong!![??] There is no correct choice – Just bad & worse [??]

The Video Card could be aided somewhat – if the adjacent PCI card slot was left open or unoccupied to permit more breathing room for Video Fan Assembly [??]

Maybe an extra Exhaust fan on top – somewhere [??] – may help

I always run – Task Manager – Minimized & monitor CPU Efficiency along with monitoring Temperatures – Keeping the Tower itself with good air space for circulation will help & controlling ambient air temperature can help.

Also depending on Motherboard – you may be able to control – Fan Cooling – in BIOS – Hardware Monitor Section – If you are employing Smart Fan – You can control – Fan Speed – Response Time – Speed Ratio –
If you have Motherboard Installation CD – Browse thru the CD for Temp Monitor Utility & Cooling Tips

Here are some Info links – CPU Cooling – Heat-pipes -

Artic Cooling Article -
http://www.xbitlabs....ic-cooling.html

Heat Pipe
http://www.taisol.co..._heatpipes.html

http://www.heatsink-...heatpipes.shtml

Heat Compound
http://www.antec.com...IYArticle2.html

http://www.microcent...l_heatsink.html

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 25 April 2006 - 06:43 AM.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Well, I've got my cables neat and as unobtrusive as possible. I have a noname case I picked up at a local shop. it has a fan in the back of the case that blows heat out. The side panel on the case has a fan connected to it that blows down onto the motherboard. It also has a fan thats on the top of the case, I don't know if this is blowing into or out of the case. I assume out, due to heat rising.. I assume that applies in a PC case.

I've kept my graphics card as far away from the other cards as possible, there's not many. I have a modem and now a sound card. They're in the slots farthest from my card.

I've only recently been reading on cooling and everything so I'm learning and discovering. I honestly don't know if 40 degress celcius for a case temp is high or medium, I'm sure its not low.

As for my high CPU temp maybe I just got a heatsink and fan thats simply not efficient enough? I looked for reviews but I couldn't find any. Maybe I just need to get another heatsink and fan?

Also, thanks for the links, I've been using some of them for information, specifically the X-Bit Labs one.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I was eyeballing *this here* as a replacement possibility. Pretty good review.. I think I'll read more though :whistling:.

I am getting more worried about the temperatue.. The processor is sitting at 74 celcius and I'm lookign at some web pages... The room is at a decent temp of 68 fahrenheit, and the temp inside the case is still 40 C.

Edited by ADNoland, 26 April 2006 - 02:34 PM.