Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help! Why does my computer keep shutting off?

• Please log in to reply

felinne

felinne

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi!

Thanks in advance for all your help :whistling:.

My computer shuts off at random times. This happens mostly when I'm playing a game of some sort (it's shut off when I'm on my desktop a few times too). It does not shut off everytime I play a game, I would say that now the frequency is sporadic. It used to happen on a more frequent basis, but following the good advice of a staff member here, I removed a recent Microsoft security update and it's been shutting off a lot less.

At first I suspected that it was time to replace my power supply, but I noticed that before my computer shuts off, it actually quits out of my game first. That makes me suspect it is a software issue. This has happened over a few different games, so it's not any one game in particular.

Any ideas? I don't even know where to begin to look. I don't want to buy a new power supply for the heck of it.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Could be a overheating issue. My laptop when it gets to hot wil close a program (game) is koo its self off. Its a default in BIOS that you computer will shut down when it reachs a certain temp.

felinne

felinne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Overheating was the first thing I thought of as well. But, other than a faulty power supply, I can't think of why it would be overheating. I'm not overclocking my computer at all. Also, like I said, it actually quits out of the program I am using/playing first. My person experience with overheating is that the computer just stops dead, which is why I suspect a software issue. Uninstalling that faulty security update has already helped, although I'm not sure why.

felinne

felinne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi felinne...

Let's try a Selective Startup to see if it is software related. In addition, let me ask this...do you have more than one firewall running? Do you have more than one antivirus running?

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig, and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, tick the box next to "Selective Startup" and uncheck "Load Startup Items". Apply the change and reboot.

On startup you will receive a Selective Startup dialog window...this is normal. Tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

Does the machine shutdown while configured like this?

wannabe1

felinne

felinne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
My computer hasn't shut down in a while (since my first post). Should I follow the instructions you posted next time it does the shut down thing or do it now?

Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Work it a bit to see if you can force a hang...run a virus scan or play a game (or both at the same time) and see what happens.

felinne

felinne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Okie, I'll keep you posted. I'm going to run the game that it crashed on last time for a bit and see what happens.