Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer keeps coming up - locks up computer

• Please log in to reply

shadoobie

shadoobie

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello - after uninstalling Norton Internet Security 2005, windows installer keeps coming up and cannot be stopped even through task manager. This freezes up the entire computer and nothing else can be done. I won't even be able to run a hijack this file. Anyone know what the problem is and how we can fix it? Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Shadoobie

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi shadoobie

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Does it pop in right away

Can you reinstall norton 2005 just for the sake of trying to deal with windows installer you know maybe the freezing will stop.

if the freezing stops there unistall windows installer

if your able try these when things are fine

http://download.micr...1BD/msicuu2.exe

http://support.micro...spx?kbid=290301

shadoobie

shadoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
We're running Windows 2000. We had to go into dos and rename a couple files under the sys32 folder...I believe it was the msiexec file and another .dll file that I forgot the name of. We also went into the winnt\installer folder and deleted some .msi files. We were unable to do anything in windows because the 'windows installer' window would not go away and we couldnt' do anything. We also blew out all symantec folders etc.

Anyway, we then re-installed windows installer (instmsiw.exe) we got from Microsofts website. Now, it doesn't come up with the windows installer window right after reboot however, we cannot perform a search for files or probably install anything because when we try, it comes up with the windows installer window again and just sits there...

Any more ideas are greatly appreciated!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling: Guess I should have looked at the old specs a little closer...

Try Method 2 on this Microsoft Page.

wannabe1

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
wait i got it just got to go it

shadoobie

shadoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK - am trying to get him to do the regedit stuff that wannabe1 suggested, but he keeps poking around at other things and doing things on his own - looking for trouble...starting to drive me nutz...

hopefully he'll do as suggested and I'll wait for rushin1nd's response too.

Thanks so much!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
ok Go to your add remove programs look for latest security updates look for 13/ 04/ 2006 uninstall all updates for that day except Validation Tool and Kb911567 one is activex it wont let you download the other is causing problems. try it there only up dates they can be updated again

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
If wannabe1 wants you to reinstall or reformatt then there shouldnt be any harm tring to uninstall try it youll be alright

shadoobie

shadoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
nothing dated 13/04/2006. Just ran the latest updates a few minutes ago too, still having issues. He also ran the 'windows installer cleanup utility' thing...nothing suspicious there either. It all started by uninstalling Symantec!!! How annoying.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try my uninstall of windows security up dates first if it do nt work try wannab1 i wasnt ready for extreme check my posts rushin1nd

shadoobie

shadoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
just realized we didn't try to reinstall the old Symantec 2005 since we can run windows programs...not stuck in dos. So we're going to try to re-install and see what happens next.

shadoobie

shadoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well so much for that. It keeps coming up with the error "idsinst.ext' then - norton internet security installation has failed, do you want to try again...but it just keeps going back to that error over and over again, which is what started this whole mess in the first place.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you ty uninstall the windows security i in add remove programs ..........try first..... remove them
see if that works

shadoobie

shadoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
there weren't any files with the dates you specified, so we didn't delete anything.