Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

spoolsv.exe error - Application error

• Please log in to reply

akoh

akoh

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi there,

I'm getting this error everytime I start my computer up:

spoolsv.exe error - Application error

The instruction at "0x7c91347e" referenced memory at "0x00d23970". The memory could not be "read".

How do I fix this problem? Please help!

Thanks,
Ashley

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello akoh...

This error indicates a corrupt printer driver. You'll need to remove (Delete) the printer from "Printers and Faxes" in Control Panel. And reinstall it using "Add a Printer" (left pane, same window) and choosing the printer from the list.

wannabe1

sano

sano

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I had same problem and it was a loose connection. But for some reason because i tried to run the printer with a loose power cable i had to uninstall then re install the printer software before it would work again.

akoh

akoh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

I can't get into "printers and faxes" from the control panel not the start menu. I get the hourglass cursor so I wait, but nothing happens. How else can I delete the printer?

Thanks,
Ashley

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmmm....

We may be looking at more than just a printer problem here. :whistling:

Click Start then Help and Support...does that open?

akoh

akoh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes, "help and support" opens up from the start menu.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you have the installation software that came with your printer, try reinstalling...it may offer you the choice to uninstall first. If it does, go ahead and uninstall it. If not, see if it will install "over the top" of the previous installation.

akoh

akoh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Unfortunately, I do not have software that came with the printer (Brother HL-5040). All I have is the printer driver in a compressed folder which I used when "printers and faxes" was working.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
You can unzip the files to a directory and then right-click on the .inf file and select Install. That will install the drivers for your printer.

Edited by fructose, 26 April 2006 - 11:56 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The full software download for your printer is located HERE.

Read the installation instructions near the bottom of the page.

Advertisements

akoh

akoh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
So sorry, wannabe1. :-( I followed your link but when I clicked "I accept" it said that the page could not be found:

http://welcome.solut...b2-da36d453c9cd

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling: That's about right...I think the site is down as I downloaded it earlier to have a look at it. Unfortunately, it's too darn big to attach. Let me see if I can round up a mirror real quick.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Heh...pretty tricky, them guys... :blink:

When you get to the agreement on the page I linked you to, scroll to the bottom of the agreement (like you actually read it :whistling: ) and then click the "I Accept" button.

akoh

akoh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks wannabe1 :blink: The download worked. But when I followed the installation instructions and double-clicked on setup.exe, it did not do anything. What else can I do? :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on setup.exe and choose "Open"...what happens?