Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer won't detect my drive

• Please log in to reply

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
My computer doesn't seem to want to recognize my dvd/cd drive. The device manager doesn't detect it... I can't install drivers, etc. I've tried just about everything I can think of, with the exception of hooking the drive up to the same cable that my hdd is on (it's on its own right now). I opened up the casing and looked inside and the wires were all secure and in the right place. I unplugged the wires in the drive and connected them to my old drive, which was still around and handy (apparently)... after a reboot, the computer wouldn't detect the other drive either. There is obviously a problem with the main wire in the back, or maybe with the node on the motherboard? Those would be my first two guesses, but I'm not sure.

Other than this, my computer is in excellent shape. I'm running XP (Recently re-installed it with SP2), and I frequently scan with ewido, ad-aware, avg, hijack this... and everything really does seem to be in good order.

I also don't have any games with that new drive hiding technology, or that causes rebooting...

I'm stumped.

Any help would be great!

Advertisements

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I just want to add that this problem is only a recent occurance. It was working fine, I went away for the weekend, came back, booted her up, and ... it thinks my dvd drive just isn't there, in any capacity.