Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ok i need help. im new to this crap

• Please log in to reply

Mirrortomyself

Mirrortomyself

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok, heres the deal, my computer isnt that bad but i want to upgrade. i figure the processor and the graphics card and the ram, possibly the motherboard. i am willing to spend about $750 dollars, so what do i need to do. i have no clue what to look for or what would work for my computer. i dont want to buy parts that wont fit or be compatible. so walk me through this in KISS steps ( keep it simple stupid), like i said im new to this and i only know the very basics. thanks. ask question and i will ask you how to find the answers, but ill help as much as possible, thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First, you need to know what you have already in your system. Download Everest and find out just what you have. Second thing is if you are replacing the MB, CPU, ram, and graphics card you have just about replaced the whole computer. These are the higher priced hardware of a system. If you do not need a computer built for gaming or video editing you can usually buy a factory computer cheaper than building one. I would go to tiger direct and look at their barebones kits to see if theres something you could work with. Now, i really don't like tiger direct that much but the website will give you a idea of what your looking for. Newegg will have the best prices. I just built a Aspire X-Qpack computer using newegg at a cost of $760. This is for all new parts including a thermotake PS, intel cedar mills processor, gygabyte 945 MB, WD 250 G sata drive, Nec 3550 dvd-rw, Blue orb2 cpu fan and a host of other mods which i choose to use.

Unless you are partial to the old computer, replacing it would probably be cheaper than upgrading it.

SRX660

Mirrortomyself

Mirrortomyself

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
well heres what i have, amd athlon 64 3200+ 2.00GH~, nvidia geforce fx 5200 128MB, realtek ac97 sound card, 512MB DDR SDRAM. i talked to my friend here, one of the computer building guru type guys, and he said honestly i dont need a new processor or motherboard unless im looking for ungodly performance, which is not a must for me. i just want good gaming capabilities. like oblivion at 25-35 FPS. that would more than happy for me. he took down a few notes when i told him and said he could send me a list and where to buy everything on it for definitely under $800, he said really all i needed was an nvidia geforce 7300 LE or GS, i forgot which of the two, and a gig or ram. would you have any other suggestions, im not sure how he plans on getting the prices hes talking about but i bet it has to do with him being military. ok thanks for the help

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you want something that games dont get a 7300 its not a gaming card its a budget card for putting in systems that dont use integrated or need something slightly better than integrated. A 7600 would be more along that lines, but full system specs would be the best way really all we need to know is wether your mobo is AGP or PCI-E, Ram is cheap 2 Gb of ram is about $150 for good stuff and thats alot of ram and a 7600GT is $150 again your CPU again is fine, you might maybe need a larger powersupply to handle more powerful components thats still only $50 your only looking at $300-$350 for a good upgrade because you CPU is still fast enough to do the job. Newegg is a good webiste if you are US.