Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nvidia SLI

• Please log in to reply

Dr.Shimo

Dr.Shimo

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am wondering whether it is worth upgrading to sli on my system. What gaming benifets would i recieve?
Would it be enough of a difference to spend the money? Are there any more important upgrades i could make instead? :whistling:

My system:
AMD K8 Athlon64 3200+
ASUS A8N SLI Socket 939
2x 512MB TwinMOS DDR-400 RAM
Segate HDD 80GB 7200rpm
Asus 1608p 16X Dual format Double Layer DVD writer
GeForce 7600GT DDR3 256MB 128Bit HDTV DUAL DVI PCIE
Foxconn TLA-476
Acbel 400W active PFC ATA
AOC 17'' LM726
Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard
CreAtive SBS 260 Speakers

Thanks alot if you can help :blink:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would get more memory instead, SLI increases gaming performance however it doesnt do it as much as you would expect two cards dont double performance and really SLIs primary purpose is to improve performance for people with very high resolution monitors. And there are more risks involved when implementing SLI at a later date the cards have to be the same and if not from the same manufacturer and have the same bios there can be some problems. Also there is a new version of directX coming out this summer and cards to go with it so i would save my money and get one of those later.

Dr.Shimo

Dr.Shimo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
okay i'll take your word for it. thanks alot for the help :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Also with prices in NZ and Aus one card is enough, you guys get ripped i wouldnt like to have to shell out the kind of money they ask down there twice.

Dr.Shimo

Dr.Shimo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I paid $346.00 NZD (around $120.00 GBP) for my 7600GT. How much would the exact card cost in U.K?

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
For now the card you have should be sufficient, and if you want sli, wait for the dx10 cards. I got the 6800's because thats what Im waiting for, I was going to get 7800 gtx's untill I found out. And they dont double the performance but they get pretty darn close, I think mine were about 500 points (3dmark05) off the 2x mark. I bet if I got watercooling for my gpu's and overclocked em I bet I could surpass the 2x mark with ease.
-P.
PS: What A8N board do you have?premium, deluxe,32deluxe?

Edited by p-zero, 25 April 2006 - 07:50 PM.

Dr.Shimo

Dr.Shimo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

For now the card you have should be sufficient, and if you want sli, wait for the dx10 cards. I got the 6800's because thats what Im waiting for, I was going to get 7800 gtx's untill I found out. And they dont double the performance but they get pretty darn close, I think mine were about 500 points (3dmark05) off the 2x mark. I bet if I got watercooling for my gpu's and overclocked em I bet I could surpass the 2x mark with ease.
-P.
PS: What A8N board do you have?premium, deluxe,32deluxe?

ASUS Socket939 A8N-SLI PREMIUM nForce4SLI ATX

also is the 7600GT quite a new card because i have noticed it is not listed on most supported graphics card lists for game specs

Edited by Dr.Shimo, 25 April 2006 - 08:06 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

ASUS Socket939 A8N-SLI PREMIUM nForce4SLI ATX

also is the 7600GT quite a new card because i have noticed it is not listed on most supported graphics card lists for game specs

Yeah its a new card. Its a slower version with 128bit interface but overall the card is pretty decent. Its considered a mid-end card.