Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with IE and my new computer

• Please log in to reply

stevefromga2000

stevefromga2000

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I just had a computer built by a friend, and when i got the computer to my house and i tried to open up my internet, the menu for internet options came up. the icon for my internet is not the internet explorer, it just says internet. i was told by some other people that the easiest thing to do is to re-format my computer with XP, but i have no idea how to do that. whenever i try to open up the internet at home, i don't even get a browser that opens up, just the internet options menu display. also, if i do right click on the internet icon, the internet properties are in bold lettering while everything else is not. not sure if that makes a difference or not, but thought that it might be important. is re-formatting my entire computer the best solution, and if so, how do i do that?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi stevefromga2000!

Go to START-->RUN and type iexplore and click OK. This should open up internet explorer. Let me know if it does.

Fenor

stevefromga2000

stevefromga2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i've got the internet explorer there now, but there is no ip address in my internet properties menu. when i try to connect to the internet, all i get is the cannot find servor error. now what should i do?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Who do you use the for Internet? Is it a dialup or broadband service?

Fenor