Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

why would windows firewall be turned off?

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
anyone know what would turn windows firewall off when my dell inspiron 8500 starts up? I use Zone Alarm, but would like to remove it to free up some resources.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
START>>>>>>>>>>CONTROL PANEL>>>>>>>>>SECURITY CENTER>>>>>>>>>>FIREWALL

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not sure as i don't use zone alarm...but i THINK that it disables the windows firewall (or at least has a setting to do so) so that they don't conflict....

does the firewall just turn off...but you can still access the settings...or does it grey out all the settings?

sano

sano

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
zonealarm runs it's own firewall and the two (ZA + Wndows) don't need to run together.
If you follow the instructions RUSHIN posted it should show that a firewall is running.
If it is not then go to security center - and on bottom click "windows firewall" then click on "on recommended".
If you have the latest version of ZA it should be running it's own firewall and should say that at the "security center".
"window firewall will only run if it has no other firewall protecting it.
I am only a newbie here but have used ZA for nearly 8 years its "internet lock" feature has been a god send.
Good luck

Edited by sano, 25 April 2006 - 08:10 AM.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
The option to restart Windows firewall is there as usual, it is just turned off during start-up. I figured that it was ZA turning it off. I can turn it back on, but at next start-up ZA disables it again.
Is ZA's free firewall any better than the windows firewall? ZA's occasional solicitation to buy the full program annoys me, although it is not that often.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you check your ZA's free firewall settings maybe you should you turn them off and turn on xp firewall (microsoft IE).do you have other security

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
yes have other security, I'm kinda becoming a security freak, Ad-aware-spybot-spyware blaster-MS antispyware-AVG-ZA..etc