Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I delete the old XP install files?

• Please log in to reply

paulmarkj

paulmarkj

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I run XP on SP2 and have had difficulty in the past running XP updates, which may in part account for the following problem:

I have over 9Gb of files in the c:\windows\installer\ directory. These files are all .msi or .msp and have names like 2daa70f.msp, 2daa71b.msp and 2daa71f.msp.

Many of the files seem to be duplicates (same size and date). Eg: 126 files from 7/72004 that are all 26,690,560 bytes.

Can I delete all these files?

There are also 186 folders in c:\windows\ all named like: $NtUninstallKB901214$ or $NtUninstallQ329441$. These only take up 284 Mb, but it just seems like clutter to me. Can these also be deleted?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well i dont have 9 gigs in the installer folder, just 33MB. I do try keeping the programs i install on the puter to a minimum. I only have 13 on this puter. I would put them in the recycle bin and see if any programs start acting up. If everything runs normal for a few weeks then i would delete them from the recycle bin.

I usually delete all the $NtUninstall files from my computer if i dont have any problems with the microsoft downloads( updates). I havent had any problems yet from deleting them.

SRX660

Fusion_Inc

Fusion_Inc

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

I run XP on SP2 and have had difficulty in the past running XP updates, which may in part account for the following problem:

I have over 9Gb of files in the c:\windows\installer\ directory. These files are all .msi or .msp and have names like 2daa70f.msp, 2daa71b.msp and 2daa71f.msp.

Many of the files seem to be duplicates (same size and date). Eg: 126 files from 7/72004 that are all 26,690,560 bytes.

Can I delete all these files?

There are also 186 folders in c:\windows\ all named like: $NtUninstallKB901214$ or $NtUninstallQ329441$. These only take up 284 Mb, but it just seems like clutter to me. Can these also be deleted?

Hello

A tool call CClearner http://www.ccleaner.com/ download the latest version once you install the program and run.
On the cleaner seaction in cleaner settings. all should be check you can uncheck the ones that you dont want to be clean but your problems you trying to clean the window updates and etc. so under cleaner settings you will see advanced check all of them if you like but to to clean the updates put a check on hot fixes and finally just press clean you should be good

Fusion_Inc

paulmarkj

paulmarkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the help. I will try ccleaner, it looks good, but I want to get to know it first - I fear cleaning something I shouldn't! In the meantime I've deleted the offending files and all seems to be ok.