Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BOOT TIME Error - BIOS checksum error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
System:
AMD 1.33 Mhz (not overclocked, bus speed multiplier is 10x), 512 PC133 SD-RAM, ECS K7VTA3 (I think)mother board, Windows XP Home.

Creating this post from my work PC. Spec above are on my home PC.

As of this posting I was able to get my PC to start normally again. Once able to get into the BIOS settings, I set my BIOS settings to the default/safe values. When I was having problems and getting the error message above, I found that if I stuck a 3.5 in the floppy drive and re-booted I could get it to start up to the point where it identified an invalid system disk (at which point I simply removed the disk and hit enter).

I restarted the computer a few times to be sure the problem was gone. At first, it wasn't and my little disk trick stopped working until I tried a different floppy than the one I had been using.

This happened this morning (Tuesday, April 25th, 7 am EST). Last night I had installed a new version of a program called DAZ Studio. So I unistalled the programs and all files associated with it. When I left the house the computer was up and running. My concern is there may be a problem with my motherboard or RAM. I ran scans with HiJackThis, CWShredder, AntiVir, and Windows Defender (didn't have time to run Spybot and AdAware) and results came up negative for malicious content. This is to say I don't think it's a virus attacking my bios settings.

So what's my question? What is the best way to run a diagnostic on my motherboard and RAM to assure things are really ok? I still have my BIOS set to the defaults but I understand these settings may not be optimal for my PC. Oh and what "system disk" is it talking about? Thank you.

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Closed Topic
Duplcate Post