Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Stick not working

• Please log in to reply

hyeone

hyeone

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
i have a attache 1 gig usb memory stick. yesterday, i accidently bumped into it with my chair and bent the metal piece that goes into the pc. now, it says the usb can not be recognized. ive tried it on 2 different computers using windows xp.
is it over for my memory stick?

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 – hyeone – [Memory Stick Damaged]
25th April 2006

i accidently bumped into it with my chair and bent the metal piece that goes into the pc. now, it says the usb can not be recognized. ive tried it on 2 different computers using windows xp.
is it over for my memory stick?

Probably – It depends on the amount of damage & where – Can you attach photos? – There are resistors connected to the data lines to identify USB Speed type & if this is where damage is; Then that could cause this failure –

You may be able to connect the device to a Self Powered USB HUB – If damage was to Pin 1 [Power Pin] – the Self Powered HUB may be able to provide Power –

Jack123

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

01 – hyeone – [Memory Stick Damaged]
25th April 2006
Probably – It depends on the amount of damage & where – Can you attach photos? – There are resistors connected to the data lines to identify USB Speed type & if this is where damage is; Then that could cause this failure –

You may be able to connect the device to a Self Powered USB HUB – If damage was to Pin 1 [Power Pin] – the Self Powered HUB may be able to provide Power –

Jack123

i cant attach photos, im at work. just imagine a memory stick vertically. the metal piece is bent to the right just a little. looks like it might not be touching the first resistor.
would it be a good idea to take it apart and try fixing it that way?

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
thanks a lot jack. i fixed my own problem. i messed around with a little and got it to work.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02 – hyeone – [Memory Stick Damaged]
25th April 2006

That is good – The device should have been supplied with a plastic/vinyl like protective covering –

Usually people misplace these devices or they end up in the washer & dryer –

Jack123