Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dial-Up Issue

• Please log in to reply

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

Having an issue with dial-up internet being shard over a network. There are two computers, on upstairs (Main) and one downstairs (Downstairs). Both are directly connected to each other via network cable. Yes it is crossover. The dial-up Internet access comes from the wall into the computer upstairs. It can be dialed and accessed on this computer no matter what. Here's the tricky part.

I want to get the downstairs computer to have access to this dial-up Internet whenever, as well as at the same time as the upstairs is running. So in a sense, the downstairs computer can dial the number for Internet and get access without having to go upstairs and connect it. Essentially I am trying to get a shared connection going, but nothing I suggest to them seems to work. I was troubleshooting over the phone, and everyone knows that's a lot harder than face to face.

Anyways, it can be done, it was done before. But the people have since forgotten how it was done. Both systems are running XP.

Here is a diagram illustrating the setup:

Posted Image

If you need more info from me, just ask, I will be more than willing to supply it. Thanks in advance.

Cheers:)

Edited by Dockboy, 25 April 2006 - 11:42 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm not 100% familiar with the use of ICS (internet connectin sharing) with dialup...but i know it can be done by setting up ICS as if it were a lan connected internet setup (broadband) i DO, however, know that it's not possible for you to DIAL the number from both computers...IN theory you could share the internet connection on both computer's as long as the dialup account is connected on the HOST computer...this would make the connection rediculously slow as two machines would be using the dialup account on the one dialup modem..

so basically as long as the HOST computer has an active connection...and ICS is set up correctly (sorry as i said not sure on the setup there) then it SHOULD theoretically allow for the CLIENT computer to get to the internet through the HOSTS dialup session...but you WOULD NOT be able to open TWO seperate dialup sessions...it's kind of like dialing a phone when someone's already on the line...won't happen

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;306126

give that a read

Dockboy

Dockboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hey man,

Thanks for info. I'll work through it at some point. But I just wanted point out the way that the downstairs computer would dial.

Essentially, you would open a browser and if the Internet was not connected upstairs, it would dial it on the upstairs computer, and then, once dialed, the downstairs computer would be able to use the Internet.

But yeah, it is a really wierd situation, one I have only seen at this place. I'll be there within the week, so I'll go to work on setting it up. Thanks again.

Cheers:)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Essentially, you would open a browser and if the Internet was not connected upstairs, it would dial it on the upstairs computer, and then, once dialed, the downstairs computer would be able to use the Internet.

yeah..that's correct...it would do that...i just wanted to make sure you knew that it couldn't dial TWO instances of the connection....the comp downstairs could force the upstairs one to dial...and the one upstairs of course could dial as normal...you just couldn't have BOTH dial at the same time...but you COULD use the active connection on the host computer even if the original dial was initated by the downstairs one...and vice versa

Dockboy

Dockboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Bingo.