Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Hard Times

• Please log in to reply

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
My Seagate 300 GB Hard Drive has just died, I think most of the data is still there, but I cannot even load the OS while this drive is connected. I ran a Diagnostics on the drive and recieved a Code 7. Can anyone help me find a way to save the data I can without having to pay the $500 cost to have my data recovered? If not, are there any opinions on how I might still be able to access the drive myself and copy the few important items back off of the drive?

Thank you and please hurry as I will be sending the drive in for a replacement soon. It was under waranty still. Also in a thought that it may have been a heat problem that caused the drive to fail... It was hot when I removed it, does anyone have recomendations on Cooling Fans that I might want to look into and get?

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have not tried these yet, but hers a few i'm interested in.

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

http://www.runtime.org/

This one is free. I have not had anyone want data recovery for a while so i have not tried it yet.

http://www.pcinspect.../uk/welcome.htm

http://www.easeus.com/

Of course i do wonder if you can slave the drive into another computer and see if you can save any data that way.

SRX660

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can get access to another machine you can try slaving the bad hd into the other computer and pulling the data off that way...make sure the drive is jumpered as slave and hook it to the middle ide connector on the other machine...boot the other machine and see if it detects the drive...if it does then you can see if you can get to your data...once you get the data off you'll have to take owner ship of the files (instructions below) then you can burn to cd or whatever you wanna do to get them back on the new machine once you RMA the drive

How to take ownership of a folder

Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File sharing when it is not joined to a domain.
For additional information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307874 How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
  • Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
  • Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
  • Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  • In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
  • Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory <folder name>. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
    Note <folder name> is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

• Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.
How to take ownership of a file

Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:
  • Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
  • Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
  • Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  • In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.

• Click Add.
  • In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to give access to the file. For example, type Administrator.
  • Click OK.
  • In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
  • When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Thank you both for the help. IN regards to the drive it was the primary IDE Drive, but not the OS Drive, which is the primary drive of it's own connection, not IDE, but the other one. Sorry, I can't recall the name right now. I was able to disconnect it and start up the computer, I then proceeded to connect it and take data off. About 10 gigs in it froze and has not started up since. Thanks for the help, I'll take the loss as such and thanks again for all the help.