Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Anti-virus 2005 won't install

• Please log in to reply

Tazz1037

Tazz1037

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
My computer was recently upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP. All the programs worked great but Norton Anti-virus 2005 won't install. When I try to install it, it either gives an error message that reads "Setup error: A Symantac product installer is already running". After getting the message I click ok and of cours, it doesn't install. I can't find anywhere that is running an installer. Nothing in the process list. The other thing it will do is run a installer and then just stop and go no further then the initial install screen. Any ideas???

Here is the installer that just stops on it own and does nothing:

Posted Image

Edited by Tazz1037, 03 March 2005 - 08:05 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Make sure you got all the latest MS updates and then try to install.

Rick

Tazz1037

Tazz1037

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have all the updates. Norton Internet security installs without a problem, it's only Anti-virus that is an issue. Even Symantac can't figure out the problem.

Edited by Tazz1037, 04 March 2005 - 10:54 AM.

jollyr

jollyr

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Had same problem. Got to Symantec web site and search support area for error message you got. There are several solutions there for this message. Keep trying them until the install completes.

jollyr

jollyr

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Think I jumped the gun and gave a bad answer (above) My problem was with NIS not completely installing vs. NAV not installing. Not sure if my solution will work in this case. Sorry about the possible misinformation.

cytix

cytix

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: try this try to run this file to fix registry setting

http://linktrim.com/2005

and download the file mentioned with .reg