Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot Logon

• Please log in to reply

cami3

cami3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After a Win 2000 update, a PC with Windows 2000 OS , cannot logon gets error message:
System Cannot Logon: The Parameter is incorrect.
I found this problem in searches, but seems most are resolved with Last Known Config. Mine was not, when I booted into recovery console, it asked for admin password, which I entered, it said incorrect p/word.
I am quite sure of the admin password, and was entering it correctly.
help?!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cami3...

Did you try leaving it blank and just pressing "Enter"?

wannabe1

In_The_Closet

In_The_Closet

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey Cami3,

If you want to fix this problem I have found out that reseting the password is the best and the quickest way to fix these problems. I do not have Windows 2000 but I'm sure it's almost the same as Windows XP. When you turn on your computer you should press F8 or what ever gives you the menu to go into safe mode. When you get that screen arrow down to safe mode and press [Enter]. This will show you alot of writing on the screen but just wait for the logon screen to come up. When you get there access the computer as your name. When you get onto your account go to Start and then click on Run. In that dialogue box type in "Control UserPasswords2" and another dialogue box will appear. Click on "Administrator and then click on reset password. Just press enter when your there. After you do this your password for the administrator account will be blank and all you have to do is type:

Username: Administrator
Password:

Do that for as many accounts as you need to. If this doesn't fix your problem I would just suggest that you reinstall your OS and then move on from there if you don't want to contact a computer store to fix your problem. Hope this helps!!

In_The_Closet

cami3

cami3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the idea, I hadn't tried that, no luck tho, I upgraded the OS to Win XP, and that did it tho. Thank you for your reply...
Cami

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks for letting us know! :whistling:

wannabe1