Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted Folder keeps coming back

• Please log in to reply

vlad71

vlad71

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have an empty folder sitting on my desktop titled "Erik Music". It used to contain some MP3's but is now empty and the properties show a size of 0 bytes. It is marked as "Read Only" and I have tried unchecking this before deleting but it makes noi difference. I have deleted this folder at least 10 times and it always reappears on my desktop within 24 hours. I have never had this happen before.....I even tried creating a new blank folder, dragged this one into it and deleted them both. This one came back to its original spot on the desktop again the next morning.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you/did you have an mp3 ripping program (or any othe rmusic managing program) that was set to use that folder as it's default storage folder? if so that program may be recreating the folder

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
removed

Edited by pip22, 25 April 2006 - 01:49 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Just a small point - folders cannot be 'read only' in Windows.

er....not true...folder's can indeed be marked as read only...and WHEN you do mark a folder as read only (or UNmark one as read only)...it asks if you want to apply that setting to all objects within the folder...of course all of this requires the NTFS file system...i believe in the FAT structure..you'd be correct pip...but with NTFS being the native file system on MOST installs now adays..MOST people can indeed set folders to read only

vlad71

vlad71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
No, nothing pointing to this folder. It was just a temporary dump for a some playlists.

Here is a thought that just ocurred to me. Last week I had an issue with the registry that another moderator helped me with. He had me install the 30 day trial of TuneUp Utilities 2006. It fixed my registry problem but could that in some way be causing this hiccup? Here is the posting from last week:
http://www.geekstogo...opic=108547&hl=

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no it shouldn't have anything to do with it..
http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html get that and follow their instructions for deleting the folder at next reboot and see if it goes for good

vlad71

vlad71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Nope. Ran the program when you posted and it came back already. It just came back within the last hour and the properties says that the file was created yesterday (4/25/06) at 11:21pm!! My system clock is correct.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

vlad71

vlad71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Arrghhh! Can't believe I missed this earlier. You were right! Windows Media Player was set to rip files to that folder (a one time thing I forgot to change), so everytime I used WMP it recreated the folder. Thanks so much for helping me see what should have been obvious!

I'm gonna bet it won't come back again!

vlad71

vlad71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yep, still all clear. That was the problem.

Thanks again!!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
figured that would do it