Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Steeing up a VPN

• Please log in to reply

rjs

rjs

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
What I am trying to do seems simple , but hours or lookint at the internet has drwn a blank. I have a windows 98se PC in my house connected to the internet over broadband ovia a basic netgear router. (supports VPN passthrough).

All I want to do from another house is connect my wireless laptop to the internet through another low cast router so that I can drag and drop files on to the PC back in my house.

It has been suggested I use a VPN, but I do not have a VPN server and do not really want to buy one. I undersatnd that my XP laptop is already fitted with IP sec client software, so how could I get the win 98 PC to terminate the IP sec tunnel . Can it do this by also running client software ?

Or is there a simplier way ? or do I have to buy a differenet router that terminates IP Sec tunnels ?

Some one must understand this more then me ?

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
you can setup xp as vpn host and win98 as vpn client. this how to setup windows vpn may help, http://www.howtonetw...ws/vpnsetup.htm

rjs

rjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for this - Do you know if I set it up using XP as the host and 98 as the client, will I be able to drag and drop from the XP laptop onto the remote 98 desktop PC.

Once the VPN is connected do the PC's appear as they would as if they were on the LAN ?

Is there any IP sec client software available for free on the internet ?

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
1. you may want to try Microsoft CMAK that will save the VPN settings and export into other computers.
2. Windows IPSec comes with 2000 and xp.