Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting files and folders?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
When I go to my start menu on my xp pro & search for all files and folders on my computer I see there is alot of program folders/files that I've deleted or uninstalled a long time ago.Some of these files when I right click on them & attemp to delete them it acts like Im deleting them but then there still there when I repeat the search for files and folders process.If Im supposed to, How do I rid my computer of these files/folders? Or would it be unsafe to do this?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello saraveza408.

When you delete the files using the Search, it sends them to the recycle bin, just like if you manually found them and deleted them.

While they are sitting in the recycle bin, the Search function will still see them, but it will report their location as Recycle Bin.

Look in the Recycle Bin to see if that is your situation. If not, let me know.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
ok great that worked......Also there are files that are like 13 KB for example _100001 C/Documents and Settings/All Users Type Text Document when i click on it it'll come up with notebook & read something like AVG 7.0 Anti-virus Log then what follows is a bunch of looks like sybols.I ask because there appears to be alot of these on my computer.Are these safe to delete?And am I really freeing up space by doing all this deleting???Easier yet is there some freeware that could do this for me?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes, there are programs that will do this for you. It is much easier, and much safer. That particular file sounds like a log, which got corrupted and is unnecessary. It can be removed. But it would be better to leave other good logs incase you get infected in the future. The logs can be used to see what it is/was that infected you. For cleaning all the other junk:

Download CCleaner from http://www.snapfiles...t/ccleaner.html
  • Install it. Then start the program.
  • In the area designated as "Cleaner Settings", Make sure the Windows tab is the selected tab.
  • Under the category of "Internet Explorer", UNcheck all boxes except for the first two boxes (Temporary Internet Files and Cookies) and the box called Delete Index.dat files.
  • UNcheck the box next to the category called "Windows Explorer."
  • Under the category of "System", UNcheck Empty Recycle Bin.
  • At the top, click on the tab that says Applications.
  • UNcheck EVERYTHING! If there is a category called "Firefox", then leave the Cookies option checked.
  • Now click on Analyze. When it is done analyzing (it could take several minutes since this is your first time using ccleaner), click on Run Cleaner.
Do this weekly to keep junk off of your computer. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :whistling:

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
i already have ccCleaner & Wash n Go & I run them pretty close to daily.But I will check my seetings and change them as you directed.Also is it safe to delete unused fonts?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Not sure about deleting fonts. I'd assume that if they are ones you downloaded, it would be fine...if you know which ones are downloaded. If you've never downloaded any, I'd leave them alone.

How much space is left on your computer? Are you running out? In addition to those cleaners, you can use Add/Remove programs to remove any programs that you no longer use.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
im trying to free up space.With my ccCleaner i had all the boxes checked.Will this all make my computer faster?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
How much space is left on your hard drive? If it is no where near full, cleaning junk will do nothing. If it is a speed issue that you are having, I can help you with that.

Let me know how much hard drive space you have left, and if it is speed that you are looking for.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
ok I've just finished running both ccCleaner and Easy Cleaner,running Disk Cleanup and defreagmented my computer and when I check my space it says....
Used space 3.26 GB
Free space 6.10 GB
When I defragmented today it said I was at 65% Free space
But I think I've done just about as much cleaning on this computer as possible,So yes,what Im looking for is speeding my computer up all around.so if you could help me achieve this goal I would appreciate it greatly!
Unless you think I could clean my computer more???((((I might be addicted to cleaning!just kiddn!))))

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

I might be addicted to cleaning!just kiddn!

I believe that :whistling: :blink:

So you got a 10 GB hard drive?? That must be an old computer! Do this:

Download and WinAudit. Start it, and then click on Options at the top. At the bottom, click None and then check only the box that says System Overview and then click Apply. Then, click on the button that says Here. It will record information about your system.

Save the audit to your desktop. This will save three files. Take all three files and put them into a single zip (compressed) folder. Name the folder WinAudit. Post it in your reply to me.

I will use this info to determine how to speed up your computer.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 25 April 2006 - 10:01 PM.

Advertisements

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Computer Name THE-HHQV7UC1MJJ
Network Domain WORKGROUP
Site Name
Computer Role Workstation, Server
Computer Description
Operating System Microsoft® Windows XP Professional
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Product Name HP OmniBook PC
Serial Number TW04109359
Asset Tag No Asset Tag
Number Processors 1
Processor Description Pentium® III, 263MHz
Total Memory 255MB
Total Hard Drive 9.37GB
Display 1024 x 768 pixels, true colour
System Uptime 0 Days, 0 Hours, 29 Minutes
BIOS Version HP-MCD - 1070000 PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
User Name JustDoIt
Timestamp 4/25/2006 9:04:33 PM

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
With those specs, I'd say get a new computer :whistling:

Processor Description Pentium® III, 263MHz Extremely old
Total Hard Drive 9.37GB Old, but not too bad
Total Memory 255MB Not too bad, but if you have a lot of programs, not good

If you still wanna try to speed this computer up, download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 25 April 2006 - 10:26 PM.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
i was thinking & I wonder if this may be the problem....I have spy-bot,ad-aware,windows defender,ccCleaner,Easy Cleaner, and AVG all on my computer.I just got rid of Wash n Go and Trojan Hunter.May this be the problem & if not I'll download HJT?

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
what part of the hjt log would you like me to post??

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

i was thinking & I wonder if this may be the problem....I have spy-bot,ad-aware,windows defender,ccCleaner,Easy Cleaner, and AVG all on my computer.I just got rid of Wash n Go and Trojan Hunter.May this be the problem & if not I'll download HJT?

Doubt it. But if you want to get rid of a few (maybe Windows defender & Easy Cleaner) then go ahead. But I doubt it will help much...maybe slightly...

what part of the hjt log would you like me to post??

All of it. And actually, attach it. Don't post it out. If you're having troubles attaching, you may need to put it in a compressed (zipped) folder before you can attach.

I got to get some sleep now...almost midnight :whistling: I'll check it out ASAP tomorrow.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 25 April 2006 - 10:45 PM.