Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Professional w/Front Page Installer pop up

• Please log in to reply

JMG

JMG

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My system indicates Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 w/Service Pak 2, however everytime I try to open Windows or Excel, the XP Professional w/Front Page installer pops up and stops, indicating that PROPLUS.msi is missing from my computer.

I think this all started when I downloaded a service pak update - now I can't even access my files.

the HP Pavilion 533c did not come with the xp install cd. there was some sort of class action suit which ultimately provided me with an 8 disk recovery package, however that will completely wipe out my C: drive.

Is there any way I can repair this without losing my files? I have made several attempts at a system restore - but it does not correct the problem.

I'd appreciate some help. Thank you.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello JMG...

Will Control Panel open? If so, double click on Add or Remove Programs, tick the box at the top to "Show Updates"

Scroll down the list to the Windows updates and locate KB908531, select it and remove it.

Reboot and see if you can open your programs. If the Front Page error still comes up, let me know.

wannabe1

JMG

JMG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Wannabe1 - I followed your instructions but unfortunately I am still getting the same install prompt when I try to open Word/Excel/Powerpoint.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try "Detect and Repair".

Open any Office application and click on "Help" on the toolbar...select "Detect and Repair". Tick the box to "Restore my shortcuts while repairing" and then click "Start".

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 25 April 2006 - 10:20 PM.

JMG

JMG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Unfortunately, I cannot open any office program at all to even get to the help tool. As soon as I attempt it, the install kicks in again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

Open Control Panel, double click on Add or Remove Programs, scroll down to and select Microsoft Office. Click on the "Change" button and run the Repair from there.

JMG

JMG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Attempted to run the repair as indicated in your post, however after a few moments of running through, the repair tool also did the same thing.

Ughh!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Ughh!!

Is right! :whistling:

Let's boot into Safe Mode and see if the System Restore will work from there.

Restart the machine and tap the F8 key as it boots. When you see the Safe Mode Options, choose Safe Mode...you may be given the option to start a system restore at this point...if you are, do it...if not boot it into Safe Mode.

Once at the desktop, try to run System Restore as you normally would. Let me know how it goes.

JMG

JMG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Bad news. System restore would not allow me to restore back to any checkpoints in Safe Mode.

There was an option to start up a system restore for Windows, which I did first without a successful result.

Then I started up in saft mode and tried two different restore points, both failed.

I feel doomed. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (note the space) and click "Ok". You will be told the drive is in use and asked it you want to schedule it to run on the next boot...type Y and press "Enter". This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient...let it finish. If the machine doesn't restart automatically, reboot.

Advertisements

JMG

JMG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Wannabe1: followed the last set of instructions for the disk check. It ran successfully but did not have an affect on the issue.

Install still runs when attempting to open Word, Excel, etc.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's see if we can find that missing file on your machine.

Click Start, then Search. In the search window (left pane) click "All files and folders". Type proplus.msi in the top search box. Select "My Computer" from the "Look in" drop-down menu. Click on "More advanced options, select "All files and folders" from the drop-down menu for "Type of file", check the first three boxes under that search box, and click "Search"

Let me know what it finds.

Edited by wannabe1, 26 April 2006 - 06:23 PM.

JMG

JMG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Results were all http/internet searches/temporary internet files, from my earlier searches for a cure.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do a search the same way for MSO2002.DLL

JMG

JMG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Came up empty.