Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to fix friends pc with mahy problems

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No problem...come on back when it's clean and we'll get it running like it should... :whistling:

Advertisements

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
uuurrrggghhhhh...i read through the malware instructions and used Cleanup doing what they suggested...now when i boot up i get the windows XP home edition screen (on the black background) with the green rolling horizontal bar, then it goes to the 2 tone blue background screen that says microsoft windows xp.....and then it just sits there, and sits and doesn't go any further.

Is this now back to your area of expertise or wait for the malware crew to advise??????
thanks...again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's back to me.... :whistling:

That machine was truly loaded with nasties!

Here's where that floppy set comes into play. Boot with disk one and keep feeding it disks until it finally loads up a "Welcome to setup" screen. At this screen press R. On the Agreement screen, press F8. On the next, select the operating system to repair (you should have only one) and press R. This should take you to a command prompt.

At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". Then press Y to run it on the next boot if prompted. Remove the floppy and let it run and see if it will boot to windows without the disks.

Let me know the results of this...if it won't start, we'll run a system restore from command prompt. you should have one restore point set...it'll let it run, but you'll be back to where you were before running the malware scans.

Next time through, skip the Cleanup program on the registry...we'll have to get the crud out by other means.

wannabe1

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi again.
I typed in 'R' and a black screen came up with the following

Microsoft Windws XP ™ Recovery Console
the RC provides system repair and recovery functionality
Type EXIT to quit the RC and restart the computer.
1:C\WINDOWS
Which windows installation would you like to log into?

thats it....so i hit F8...nothing
so I typed '1' and then it asked for administrator password......

I tried f8 again...nothing
no one knows any passwords

NB..I did actually try this earlier today and same thing happened..i tried some of their user passwords for the windows log on screen but 3 attempts and i had to reboot

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Leave the password field blank and press "Enter". :whistling:

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
ok..i shouldnt have typed 1 but i got the C:\windows> prompt back ..
so....C:\WINDOWS>chkdsk /r came up with "AUTOCHK.EXE could not be located in either the startup directory or the cd rom drive
Type the full path <including drive letter> for the location of AUTOCHK.EXE

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
C:\WINDOWS\system32\autochk.exe

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
ok..finally managed to get the path correct...CHKDSK is checking the volume
it got to 50% quick but is now very slow...only up to 57%

if you don't hear back it's cause i'm off to bed(its after midnight here)

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
good morning...
chkdsk found and fixed 1 or more erors on the volume...now it's back to the C:\Windows prompt

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
See if it will boot to windows.

Advertisements

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
ok...also, i managed to find the product key for the windows xp cd.....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
For which cd? Yours or his?

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
yesterday after the cleanup crash i changed the bios to boot from the cd and thought i'd give that a go, i managed to get to repai windows when it asked for the product key which at the time i didnt have....so when i just now exited the windows prompt the pc booted back to the install part of the windows repair..just before where it askes for the product key.....since i started that process i havent been able to get out of it, every time it boots up it boots to the same place on the repair process

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go ahead and let it run the repair, but use your friends product key...not the one for the cd you are using..unless, of course, you are using his cd.

leanneqld

leanneqld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
the product key is for the disk the manufacturer gave him, which is the disk i used.

however, it seems to have stalled at "set up will complete in 32 mins"....am still getting the pro's of XP information on the screen but there's no grren indication light coming from the cd rom drive.....and its been on 32 mins for the past 15(says installing network)