Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need advice (don't like intel)

• Please log in to reply

Whiskey Ace

Whiskey Ace

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I know what I read but I know what I want. If any body can steer me to a beter build, ...

Wanted:

Antec P160?
600W power
AMD FX-60
Ram? (4GB)
Asus board A8R-MVP 32?
ATI 1900XTX

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks allright you might have bother with that much ram you would have to check the manuals first, i would also go for the DFI board instead of the Asus there is less chance of something going wrong with a DFI.

Other than that you are fine, but FX-60s are very expensive you have to be sure you want to spend that much money its top of the range now for any chip its fastest but it wont be in a couple of months once AM2 and the new conroe cores come out for intel.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Ive Heard windows only recognizes 3 gigs of ram so its pretty much a waste to buy 4 unless your ganna use linux

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive not heard that, it will recognise more than 4 it does have a limit but i think it is much higher most compaotibiilty issues like that are only present in the original they removed drive and memory caps in sp1 to my knowledge.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Accully winxp does have a limit, but I don't remember whether it was 2 or 4 gigs. Probably the later.

Winxp64 has a much higher limit, but keep in mind just about ANY OS will have a limit to how much data it can keep track of.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Theres a limitation to how much memory a 32bit system can process normally the is 4gigabytes as memory addresses can be no longer than 32bits thats the cap. However there are ways round it that increase physical memory there a processor extension that allows more but windows never really uses it as no one really uses more than 4gb as it presents technical issues beyond what someone using the XP OS would use. When running everything in XP though gets 4Gb irrespective of how much memory is in the system it uses apporpriate amounts of virtual memory to that purpose you can have more but it wont be properly utitilised on 32bit windows or really and 32 bit OS has trouble with it.

The 64bit architecture can handle much much more, it can handle in a technical sense 18 billion gigabytes however they placed a practical limit in XP64 as we are only just seing petabyte storage systems exabytes are many years away, so they placed the limit at a modest 128Gb of physical memory and 16 terabytes of virtual memory.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Yeah, 4GB is good. But, on some boards, if you fill all 4 slots, the mm speed goes from DDR400 to DDR333