Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about internet privacy

• Please log in to reply

41n

41n

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So this may seem like something obvious, but i am not sure so i am asking. i was wondering if it is possible for someone without direct access to my computer to know what i am doing on my computer like what websites i am visiting etc. how hard would it be ? does this person need a lot of technical know how? i am just concerned about my own privacy, paranoid really...can i prevent this?

Advertisements

Burton1

Burton1

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

can i prevent this?

That is a good question. I don't know to much about direct access to a computer because networking is not my thing, but yes it can be Prevented.

Know what sites you are visiting. Make sure you do not give out any information unless you the know the website: For example....www.Harrisbank.com. That is a banking website for one of my towns in illinois.

Also make sure your PC is protected with the latest Virus definitions. Make sure you have internet secuirty such as suits like ZoneAlarm, Norton *not the best*..

Not sure if i am right, but if i am I hope this helped you

Burton.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as long as you keep your OS updated by going to microsoft updates...and have a good antivirus program a good antimalware program and a good (well configured) firewall you will in general be safe....what most people don't know is that most identity theft happens purely by carelessness....you not checking up on sites before going there...using poor surfing habits...putting your MAIN email address out in public...giving TOO much personal info when it's not required..things like that...the best protection is being smart and surfing safe

41n

41n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everybody,

thanks for the replies. but actually im not talking about identity theft. Im talking about something a bit different. umm, for example, if someone i knew was curious what i was doing online, would they able to? If they didnt have direct access to my pc, but maybe new my ip address? Also, i heard that its possible to track keystrokes, can this be done from a remote location? i just want to make sure its not possible. im not a hacker or anything trying to figure out how to do this, just want to make sure i dont have to worry about this. also, i dont know if any of you are familiar with the facebook. its is a social networking site like myspace, except it is restricted to college students. Facebook doesnt have a feature for tracking who has been looking at your profile. are there any programs out there that do this? is it possible to modify code or anything? once again, i dont want to know how to do theses things, just want to make sure no one is doing this/using such things against me...