Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I have a quick question. The company I work for wants me to get somekind of program that tracks what websites the employees have been going to and if they are just sitting at there desk playing games. I know there something called a keytsroke recorder but I'm not sure if thats what i want to get. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions or programs I could get that would help me out. Thanks allot.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
keyloggers would work but would be VERY cumbersome...you could look into getting a proxy server on site. most proxy servers will not only allow you to track the web usage but you can actually block sites and things of that nature...you can also control access to the internet in general (if the user doesn't have the proxy address assigned to them...then they can't get online) i use a SQUID proxy server..it runs on linux...i don't know how to set it up as it was set up by an outside consultant firm before i started working here....but i know that there are companies that can set such a device up..

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

keyloggers would work but would be VERY cumbersome...you could look into getting a proxy server on site. most proxy servers will not only allow you to track the web usage but you can actually block sites and things of that nature...you can also control access to the internet in general (if the user doesn't have the proxy address assigned to them...then they can't get online) i use a SQUID proxy server..it runs on linux...i don't know how to set it up as it was set up by an outside consultant firm before i started working here....but i know that there are companies that can set such a device up..

How do you mean cumbersome. Also see theres just a couple of the employees that we want to track not the whole company. I was thinking about a proxy server as well however with a proxy server can you set it up where you only track the certain people you want and only block websites from the same people? Also this is kind of on a different note but i was wondering where I go to delete the games that actually come on the windows os? Thank You

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for the games...go to add/remove programs then the add/remove windows components...click on accessories...then details..then untick the mark near games..press ok and they should be gone..

as for the other notion there...
frome a pureley legal CYA standpoint...it's in the company's best interest to monitor all internet traffic because if you just single out a couple of employees they will cry descrimination or mistreatement...plus...just because you don't think other's are doing things online that you don't want them to (and that you think some are) doesn't mean that that's the case....

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

for the games...go to add/remove programs then the add/remove windows components...click on accessories...then details..then untick the mark near games..press ok and they should be gone..

as for the other notion there...
frome a pureley legal CYA standpoint...it's in the company's best interest to monitor all internet traffic because if you just single out a couple of employees they will cry descrimination or mistreatement...plus...just because you don't think other's are doing things online that you don't want them to (and that you think some are) doesn't mean that that's the case....

Thanks allot for the input. I have one more question I was just looking some stuff up on what we have been talking about and i came across this application called "Spector Pro 5.0" Have you ever heard of it before and if so do you know how well it works? Thanks again.