Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD region codes

• Please log in to reply

Woman

Woman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hello!

My new laptop says I have to choose a region. Is there any way around this? I've got both region 1 and region 2 DVD's!

I have a couple of DVD's that claim to be multi-regional. Can that be? If so, does anyone know why they aren't recognized by my Dell Inspiron 6000?

Thank you!

Amanda

Edited by Woman, 26 April 2006 - 10:19 AM.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey there Woman.

Region codes on your DVD player can only be changed a certain number of times. AnyDVD has "Region Free" option, maybe this can help. Try it:

Download and install AnyDVD

Let me know if this resolved your problem. Cool :whistling:

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
You can try DVD Regionfree or DVDIdle. I use them to get around the stupid region settings. Go to hxxp://www.dvdidle.com/ (change the xx to tt, I can't remember if naming websites directly is a no-no on this forum :whistling: ). The website will give you a free trial download.

Digikiwi

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you gave the link anyway were arent stupid we can see that its a web adress even with ts replaced with xs you give a link and its useful thats fine, what isnt allowed is links to pay per click sites or to your own software or website if its not appropriate.

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Downloaded anydvd but still have two DVD's listed as 'multiregional' that my DVD player doesn't seem to read.

What's happening?

Thanks!

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey again Woman.

Open AnyDVD (Right click on tray icon and goto "Settings..."
On the "DVD" tab, the 1st option "Defualt Region"
You can then set the regions over there (Eg. 2 Europe, Neat East, ect...)

Cool :whistling:

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Spike -

Tried changing the setting from US (where I bought the DVD's) to Europe (where I bought my laptop and live). No change.

When I insert the DVD, it sounds like a mini-helicopter taking off. My media player doesn't start automatically. When I open the media player, the names to the DVD's don't show. The "nonregional" DVD's don't seem to be read.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

/Amanda